Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got the snow caster moved back to its normal storage spot with the 1050 and got the home made wood chipper I did some modifications to last year dug out and mounted on the tractor. Here is a link to the thread I did on it last year if anyone is interested - Front Mounted Home Made Wood Chipper On A Bolens 1050...

Since the shrubbery has grown up along the laneway again where I cleaned out the trees last fall (amazing how much trees will try and regrow in a season) I figured I had better start cleaning things up again before winter now that the weather is a bit cooler for working out in the sun. Noticed that one of the belts had a chunk out of it so I installed a new set of belts I had on hand, gave the bearings a shot of grease and then got a start on chipping the branches that I cut off last fall. Drove out to near the road and unhooked the trailer and set it up to catch the chips. Used the battery operated hedge trimmer and string trimmer to get rid of most of the growth and then dug out a pile of the branches that i had cut off last fall and early this spring and got them chipped up.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Plant Wood Grass Rectangle Gas

Once I had the branches run through the chipper I dumped the accumulated chips into a dead furrow next to the laneway to fill it in a bit.
Plant Grass Agriculture Groundcover Grassland
Plant community Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass family Grassland

Then the trailer got hitched back up to the trailer and loaded up with some of the larger branches that I had blocked up for use as campfire wood.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Grass Gas

Got lots more to clean up if the weather holds and things don't get too wet but at least I have a start made. Dug out another pile of branches about the same size as what I chipped this morning and set them in a spot so I can chip them up tomorrow morning if the weather cooperates.
Plant Sky Plant community Motor vehicle Cloud
Plant Tree Natural landscape Grass Groundcover
Plant Grass Wood Groundcover Natural landscape

·
1,393 Posts
Good job there! Yep, now is the time to be getting projects done before the you know what arrives. Hopefully we still have a few weeks before that happens! I would like to add a chipper to my arsenal of tools. I had a small wheel around unit with a 5hp. B&S motor but it was rather wimpy for my needs, traded it off. Yours seems to being a good job!

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the chipper is a handy addition to the attachment arsenal for me at least. Looked at new and used ones before I decided to make one - if I figure my time I probably did not save much money but it does a nice job. Had a bit of a problem this morning after I chipped up the branches I had dug out yesterday. Had shut the chipper down and the tractor off and dumped the chips out of the cart. Did a bit more clean up and it started to rain so loaded everything up and went to start the tractor and it turned over about a revolution and stopped. At first I thought that the battery had died so tried to turn it over with the pull cord - no go. Looked down and noticed the PTO belts were not sitting where they should be in the lower belt guard and when I looked at the top I found out that a piece had come off the inside of one belt and jammed them up on the upper pulley. Ended up cutting the two belts with my knife in the rain and then pulling them out of the top pulley which allowed me to turn the engine over and start it so climbed on and headed back to the shop. Was able to remove one belt from around the lower belt guard but had to loosen the bolts on the belt guide to get the other belt from around the lower pulley as it had jammed up quite nicely. Spent the next couple of hours removing the drive belts, hydraulic pump belt and then installing two new PTO belts and then getting the others back on and the belt guide clearance set again. Didn't have my camera with me so no pictures but I used the tool I made years ago to hold the drive belt tensioner away from the drive belts so they rolled off and back on the engine pulley fairly easily.

·
1,393 Posts
Well, at least you had your trusty pocketknife, and it was daylight, and you had a place to get in out of the rain, and you had a pair of spare belts on hand. Could have been worse! I have had a few situations in the past where everything was just about the opposite. It's always good to have spare parts on hand!

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, at least you had your trusty pocketknife, and it was daylight, and you had a place to get in out of the rain, and you had a pair of spare belts on hand. Could have been worse! I have had a few situations in the past where everything was just about the opposite. It's always good to have spare parts on hand!
You are absolutely right - it could have been a lot worse. It would have been a long walk back to the shop where I left my cane (lesson learned) and very moist if the heavens had opened up! Was grateful to have the knife in my pocket and that the tactor started ok once I got the belts unjammed - thinking someone upstairs was looking out for me. Always try and keep a spare set of drive and PTO belts on hand as never know when one or both will cause a problem - the PTO belts were about 8 years old so I didn't mind cutting them off. I have found it can be a long drive in the winter time to try and find parts when you can't get out the driveway due to snow drifts. Ordered a new set of PTO belts yesterday from MTD Canada - not cheap but they do seem to last for a very long time and they had a discount deal and free shipping. The PTO belts are one of the few items that MTD Canada still offer for sale for the older Bolens Tube Frames. The old ones were Gates power rated ones but always seemed to drag a bit with no attachment connected - that extra 1/2" length and the cut of the OEM belts seem to make a big difference.

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was too wet and windy yesterday so had to wait until today to try out the chipper with the new PTO belts. Ran through a couple of piles of branches this morning and everything went well other than I ran out of ambition. Took a few pictures of the chipper and the chips created after the second pile was ran through.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
Plant Road surface Rectangle Wood Asphalt

The new PTO belts are staying in the guide nicely with no drag when released.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Chair Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Here are a couple of pictures of the old belts that I had to cut off - ass you can see the outside is intact for the most part but the inside of one is missing a strip which caused them to jamb up in the guides.
Wood Road surface Font Asphalt Sidewalk
Musical instrument Wood Road surface Line Grass

I was quite surprised to see the new belts I ordered to have on hand as a back up again showed up in the mail today. Two day service from MTD Canada is very impressive as last year when I ordered the bolts and the other blade for the chipper took about a week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts