Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bolens 1053 is not charging the battery I have no idea why it hasn't charged the battery since I bought it in December. Does any one have any ideas? :help::help:

·
DR. Bolens
19,075 Posts
I'm assuming you got the original wisconsin engine and delco remy starter on it?

If you do, there are a number of things that could be the culprit.
Most likely you will need to rebuild your starter. The armature or brushes may be faulty or you may have a faulty voltage regulator.
I usually take my starter and voltage regulator to my local electrical motor repair shop and they will test the voltage regulator and run the starter on the growler.

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I looked at it today and it charges the battery only when it is idling then when you rev it up it stops charging.

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when it was at its low idle it was on the charge side of the ammeter and then when i revved it up it jumped back to the other side of the ammeter. Then I tested it with a volt meter and it was 13 volts and then I turned the tractor off and it when down to 12 like it was charging it is a confusing tractor.

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now the starter generator isn't even puting any voltage out the inside is very worn out i think I will need to replace it

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,265 Posts
bolens1053 said:
Now the starter generator isn't even puting any voltage out the inside is very worn out i think I will need to replace it
As Brian asked earlier, Did you polarize the generator after rebuilding and re-installing the generator?

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I did not could you tell me how to polarize a starter generator no one in my family knows how to most I have never even heard of polarizing till the other day

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
My 67 MF12H does EXACTLY as you described, except it does still put out at idle, but I haven't gotten round to repairing it.

·
Bolensholic
303 Posts
I won't try to print this as gospel, but I remember reading a few times that polerizing is only needed for generator only aplications.
Starter/generators, ie. moter/generators, get polerized when the moter/starter function is used. The application of external power for that purpose is basicly the same as prescribed in the service bulletin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts