Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I recently acquired this Bolens 1455. As you can see, there's just a hint of rust to take care of :D, but I'll get to that eventually. It gets to live in my shop so it shouldn't get any worse.

My main concern right now is that the hydrostatic drive pedal sticks. Wherever you position it, that's where it stays. I'd rather not have this tank of a tractor going on an unplanned romp through our property! I read in the operator's manual that the travel pedal pivot shaft and bearings should be oiled. It looks to me like I'll have to dismount the loader in order to accomplish that.

Anybody have any secrets that could save me from having to do that?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
Take the fender off you can get to everything that way.

If you get off it you should always put it in park........

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take the fender off you can get to everything that way.

If you get off it you should always put it in park....
Good point. I think I would remember, but I use a JD 425 a lot for mowing and it doesn't have a park or neutral. I also have a wife and daughter that could conceivably use it, so I'd like to make it as safe as I can.

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Just got done googleing, that is really cool. now of course that I have seen one I want one. You guys are a bad influence, at least that is what the wife said.

·
1,824 Posts
Forgive my lack of knowledge of the 1455 but does it have cruise control? My GTX-18 uses the same pedal as the large frames and it has an electromagnetic clutch setup that holds the pedal in position for cruise control. I just don't know if the earlier Bolens had a cruise function or option. If so, I'm wondering if that might be stuck on, dragging, or something along those lines.

Reactions: whitefishblues

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
Forgive my lack of knowledge of the 1455 but does it have cruise control? My GTX-18 uses the same pedal as the large frames and it has an electromagnetic clutch setup that holds the pedal in position for cruise control. I just don't know if the earlier Bolens had a cruise function or option. If so, I'm wondering if that might be stuck on, dragging, or something along those lines.
The 1455 dont have a cruise control.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took the fender off and sprayed silicone spray on the parts I had access to. That definitely freed up the pedal to move more easily, but it still does not return to neutral on its own. Should it?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yes and keep oiling...Try a more oil based on it and working it. It should free up.. I had to put a new bronze bushing in mine on the hydro petal side... The best way I could do it was to cut it in half and insert it into the hole around the shaft.. That was ten years ago.. Still going strong...

P S nice tractor

1 - 12 of 12 Posts