Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 1556 over the weekend and it needs a new battery. The old one has no marking on it so can any one help me with what size battery I need? It is an automotive type cable not the lawn tractor type. Yes I will get pictures as soon as I get batteries for my camera too. Thanks, PappyH

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
The original battery was a Group 22NF. These are available, but some people have trouble finding them. I'd start at my local farm store. Close substitutes would be Group 45 or Group 51. I have attached the entire BCI list for reference

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
When I need a battery, I try to find the largest PHYSICAL sized one that will fit, and then look for one with the highest CCA rating in that size.

That way I know that I'm going to have enough battery to crank over any tractor that I have in any conditions.

That's especially important when I'm using one of my two diesel powered Bolens in the winter for snow removal.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
OB; good info. that some forget from time to time, it helps to have a friendly reminder.

Dick

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I actually just put in a 850 CCA battery from my old car had to take off the 4 bolts from the side pannels just to get that extra 1/4" of room to drop it in but it did fit .

·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys I shall start looking tomorrow. This is my first Bolens and one I really wanted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts