Garden Tractor Forums banner
121 - 140 of 179 Posts

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Checked at the local hardware to see if they had any grade 2 bolts but now they only stock grade 5. Found these on the shelf for the auger on a 2 stage snow blower so grabbed a package but when I measured them they are 5/16" diameter so not sure I want to use them. Will have to see what else I can find or groove the grade 5 bolts.

Attachments

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Had a few minutes to tinker before the heat got to me this morning so I started working on a plan for a spring loaded ratchet dog to engage with the chute control rod so it can be turned reasonably easy but stay put so the chute doesn't turn due to vibration. Will see how it works out.

First I found a short compression spring that was about 1/4" OD x 3/4" long. I also found a length of 1/4" key stock and a short piece of 3/4" x 1/8" flat steel. The steel got marked to form a 3/4" square and a 1/4" hole was drilled in the center.
Road surface Wood Automotive tire Asphalt Grey
Wood Rectangle Wall Composite material Fixture

The hole got converted from being round to square using my needle files on the corners and a piece of the key stock about an inch long got cut off to form a dog. The key stock was then shaped to a V on one end and the other end was mounted in the lathe and turned down about 1/4" deep so that the expansion spring will slip over it. Made sure that the dog was a slightly loose fit in the square hole. Then the flat bar got cut to form a square piece of metal - think I cut it a smidge short or the hole is slightly off center but should work out fine in the end.
Wood Rectangle Road surface Gas Font
Wood Triangle Road surface Font Composite material
Wood Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Gas
Wood Road surface Plant Gas Grass
Wood Road surface Grey Font Trunk

By this time sweat was dripping in my eyes so called it a day and came inside where it is much cooler.

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Drilled a 1/4" hole in the chute control tubing about an inch away from the original tension bolt location and the used the needle files to convert it into a square hole. Once the dog slid into the hole nicely I welded the small square hole plate I had made to the top to provide a nice flat surface for the piece of round stock that will serve to house the dog, spring and spring tension bolt. Think I got the dog pretty well centered in relation to the shaft as per the last picture.
Wood Bicycle part Composite material Engineering Machine
Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Font Metal
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle part Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Font
Bicycle part Bumper Automotive tire Rim Wood

Decided that the dog was just plenty long with the sitting spring on top so I cut off about 1/4" and reshaped the V on the end. I also found that the 1/4" key stock would not fit through the 3/8" nut threads so the corners of the key stock got rounded slightly with a flat file. Cut a piece of 3/4" round stock about 1" long that will serve to contain the dog, spring and adjusting bolt.
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas
Wood Bumper Tool Gas Plant
Wood Gas Composite material Automotive exterior Metal
Wood Material property Gas Auto part Rectangle
Automotive tire Wood Rim Gas Bicycle tire

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
The piece of round stock got faced in the lathe and then drilled to a 5/16" diameter so it could be threaded for a 3/8 UNC bolt. Once that was done I sacrificed about 1-1/4" of key stock by rounding the corners so it would slide inside the threads to align the threaded piece with the square hole in the chute control. Once things looked good I tacked and then welded the threaded piece - since I had left the bushings in the chute control I stopped a couple of times to cool things off so the bushings didn't get too hot.
Wood Automotive tire Gas Circle Metal
Wood Rectangle Gas Composite material Hardwood
Wood Vise Gas Bumper Building material
Wood Tool Machine tool Gas Auto part
Wood Automotive tire Gas Screw Nut

Slid the rod into chute control and then set the dog and spring in place against it inside the hole and threaded a 3/8" UNC bolt in to apply a bit of tension to the spring. The rod got a little tighter but still turns easily so I will add a few shallow grooves in the rod where the dog sits against it which should make the dog bite in better to hold the rod form turning. Marked the dog location with a pick inserted into the hole edges as can be seen in the last picture. You can also see how the original bolt has worn a groove in the rod from rubbing against it over the years. The original bolt can still be used to apply side pressure on the rod if desired but I am hoping that once the shaft is grooved it will do a nice job of holding the shaft from rotating due to vibration yet still be easy to turn (just like a ratchet) when it is desired to change the chute direction.
Wood Bicycle part Tool Gas Household hardware
Wood Vise Machine tool Gas Tool
Plant Wood Gas Tool Auto part
Tire Wheel Wood Automotive tire Bicycle tire

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Did some checking and found out originally the washer on the top of the chute control rod shaft was originally held in place with a 1/8" roll pin and the washer was not welded directly to the shaft. Since the shaft had some wear at the original bolt, the weld looked gobby to me (not pretty), and the shaft had a slight wobble I decided to fix it by cutting off the offending portion and cutting a new piece of 3/8" round stock about the same length. The original shaft measured 3/8" in the non worn / modified / pitted areas so I did a test fit of the new shaft piece in the bushings - it was a nice smooth fit so it got a new 1/8" roll pin hole for the gear added at the bottom. I also used a 5/16" diameter flat washer and drilled out the hole to 3/8" so it was a nice fit on the new shaft.
Wood Outdoor furniture Grass Gas Rectangle
Wood Plank Road surface Hardwood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Wood Door Latch Gas Lock
Wood Door Water Wall Brick
Wood Gas Metal Nut Hardwood
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Used a pair of 1/8" cotter pins to fill in for the roll pins and mounted the gear on the lower section of the shaft and added the upper washer so I could determine where to drill the second roll pin hole. The second roll pin hole was added and a test fit was done - things looked good so I carried on.
Stonemason's hammer Wood Tool Nail Household hardware
Wood Door Gas Latch Auto part
Bicycle part Wood Tool Rim Bicycle handlebar
Wood Fastener Machine tool Gas Machine

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
the new shaft got marked where the dog would be sitting against it and then I folded over a small piece of paper and wrapped it around the shaft and marked it where it met the start of the paper. Turned out to be about 1-1/8" long so I added marks every 1/8" with the paper laying flat, cut the the end where it would meat and then wrapped it back around the shaft and taped it in position. This gave me nine reasonably equal spaced marks where the shaft should be grooved - used a black marker to mark the other side in case the paper deteriorated while I was working on grooving the shaft.
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Tints and shades Concrete
Handwriting Wood Rectangle Yellow Font
Writing implement Wood Office supplies Material property Paint
Wood Asphalt Office supplies Road surface Pipe

Mounted the shaft in the lathe chuck and mounted an old hack saw blade at a slight angle in the tool post. Using the carriage to move the blade back and forth and the cross slide to control the amount of pressure of the blade against the shaft I could cut a slight groove in the shaft at the locations I had marked. Did not make real deep grooves but enough that I could feel each one with my fingernail so the sharp V of the dog would catch in them. When I was happy with the way they felt I used a flat file to remove any surface ridges and tested the grooves again with my fingernail - all looked and felt good so I removed the shaft from the lathe and now had nine shallow grooves in the shaft
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bumper Gear
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Cylinder Engineering
Wood Garden tool Wall Gas Tints and shades

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Tested the dog after mounting the new shaft in the control and was happy with the results. Ground the ends of the old shaft and the new shaft to a point and then clamped them together in a piece of angle iron. Welded them together with the mig welder and then did a quick sand of the weld to level things up a bit.
Wood Composite material Building material Gas Beam
Wood Composite material Gas Tints and shades Concrete

Moved the shaft over to the lathe and mounted the new portion in the chuck and then observed the top end of the rod - it was wobbling a bit so I grabbed the end with my hands and gently applied pressure to get it running reasonably straight again. Wrapped a piece of masking tape around the swivel joint where the other section of the chute control rod connects and then turned the weld down in the lathe so the area looked reasonably uniform. Not perfect but the area looks much better than the weld gob that was there in my opinion.
Wood Gas Table Bumper Automotive exterior
Wood Rectangle Composite material Gas Hardwood
Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring Plank

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Installed the upper roll pin, washer and after I applied a layer of grease to the shaft I slid it into the chute control bushings. Slid the gear on the bottom of the shaft and installed the roll pin to hold it in place. Added a lock nut to the original shaft bolt and locked it so it was not contacting the shaft - it can be used if needed as a back up plan the same as it was originally. I installed the dog and spring after applying a bit of grease in the hole - marked the top of the dog with a marker so I knew which way to orient it in the grease gob so it would slide down onto the shaft. Installed the tension bolt and adjusted and locked it so there is light tension on the spring so that the shaft detents nicely in nine positions but is still easy to rotate with a bit of force. Then it stopped raining for a bit so I gave the chute control assembly a splash of paint and hung it up to dry.
Wood Automotive tire Grass Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Gas
Wood Plant Composite material Gas Building material
Wood Automotive tire Plant Road surface Asphalt
Wood Grass Pet supply Tail Lock
Window Door Wood Concrete Composite material

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
For those interested I did a short video when I was initially testing the dog to see how it worked at locking the shaft - if you turn up the volume a bit you can hear the dog clicking as it catches on the grooves.

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Decided to cut some grass today but it was cloudy and there was a heavy dew so while I waited for Mr. Sun to show up I got a bit more accomplished. About a month ago I had ordered a couple of snow carpets from the local Hardware store (I imagine the gentleman thought I was a little strange) but he quoted me $5.99 each and when they called to say they were in that is what I was charged for (not the sticker price). I decided I would form three gasket pieces if you will for the duct swivel to sit on against the housing outlet as well as where the gear case cover makes contact in hopes that this will lessen the odds of the chute freezing up if the snow partially melts and freezes. They should also reduce the gap slightly between the duct swivel and the housing and gear case cover to offer a little tighter seal. Will see how it works out this winter - they can always be removed if they don't pan out.
Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Grass Font Shade
Cloud Sky Blue Rectangle Font

Got a piece marked out to go on top of the housing where the duct swivel sits and turns. Did a test fit and got it trimmed a bit better where the chute control engages with the teeth on the duct swivel.
Hood Light Cloud Blue Azure
Ashtray Tobacco Office supplies Font Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior
World Dishware Font Wood Circle
Motor vehicle Gas Electric blue Machine Composite material

Things looked good as far as clearing things but I needed a way to hold the gasket in position - thought about using two sheet metal screws but I had visions of them coming out at some point and getting into a tire so I opted for two 1/8" pop rivets with washers. Drilled two 1/8" holes in the housing plate where they would not cause any problems using the two holes i had made in the gasket as a template.
Wood Finger Flooring Wood stain Hardwood
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Got the gasket mounted in place - it should work well for the duct swivel to move on without binding or freezing to the gasket.
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Circle Table tennis racket
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Road surface Font
Hood Blue Azure Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Set the duct swivel in place to see how things looked.
Automotive tire Road surface Vehicle Gas Asphalt
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Vehicle

Then I made two more gaskets to go on the top side of the duct swivel - one will sit against the bottom of the gear cover and the other will sit on top of the cover - they should be ok to float as they cannot go any where once they are on the duct swivel.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Azure
Drinkware Blue Audio equipment Automotive tire Drink

Camera started acting goofy today as if it had a mind of its own so I will have to send it into Nikon and see if they can repair it. Hope I can find my old Kodak and it still works to get me by in the meantime or the pictures may be scarce for a bit.

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 · (Edited)
Today was somewhat of a repeat of yesterday as I still had half the grass to cut so while waiting for the dew to depart I did some other tasks and then got a little bit more done on the snow caster. Found the old Kodak camera and took it to the shop this morning with me. Inserted the two AA batteries I had been using and showed good so tried to set the date and the camera died. Scratched my head and decided to try a new pair of batteries and that proved to be a wise move and after a bit I was taking pictures again with it - took a few minutes to remember how to do a few things like erase the old pictures. The pictures may not be quite as clear but should do to illustrate what I did.

Cut a piece of new snow carpet for the duct swivel using the old piece as a pattern - it had stood up well for the few winters it had been in use but was showing some wear. As you can see there are three slits cut partially in new piece so it conforms to the inside rounded surface of the duct swivel. The heads of the machine screws I had removed were badly rusted so new screws and flat washers were installed - took a few tries to get all the holes to align but eventually things worked out. The screws I had were 3/4" long so they required trimming as they are located right where the duct swivel rotates in the gear cover.
Wood Skateboard Automotive exterior Tints and shades Electric blue
Wood Wood stain Electrical wiring Gas Horseshoe
Blue Bumper Wood Gas Automotive exterior

Used the die grinder to remove the excess and make the new screws flush so they would not cause any problems with the rotation of the duct swivel. I also made a new strip of metal to hold the snow carpet piece at the top where the screws connect the first section of the chute to the duct swivel. Originally these were rivets I believe but when I got it someone had used machine screws and they seem to work well once double nutted and make it easier to separate the chute if required. I also touched up the screw areas on the outside of the duct swivel with some black paint.
Wood Gas Bumper Automotive wheel system Wire
Baked goods Cake Bumper Cuisine Auto part
Automotive tire Plant Motor vehicle Rim Wood
Helmet Idiophone Automotive tire Musical instrument Wood

After that I went and finished the lawn cutting duties and then got the newer camera shipped away for repair so will see what happens with it. I called the Nikon repair department here in Canada and talked to a nice gentleman - described what it was doing and he suggested I send it to them and gave me an approximate price quote. They have a great website where you can fill in the model and serial number of the camera, describe the problem and then fill out your name, address and a bit more information and then you can download a 3 page pdf that you can save and also print out that gives you a packing slip to put with the camera and also a shipping label for the box. You also get a second copy of the packing slip for your own records to keep on hand - I found it very helpful and time saving for me.

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Before installing the duct swivel and gear cover I decided I would make new rubber paddles for the auger while I had easy access to the discharge hole in the housing. I borrowed Dave in NY's idea and mounted them on the backside of the auger paddles and will see how they stand up this way. I made a cardboard template that I can use to mark out the paddles on the mud flap material. It is designed so that the rubber paddles can be rotated half a turn when the one side gets wore off. I also made two new metal backing plates for the back side of the rubbers to give support to the rubber that is sandwiched in between them and the auger paddle area. Got two rubber pieces cut out of the thickest part of the mud flap.
Handwriting Rectangle Purple Wood Grey
Wood Composite material Wood stain Font Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Wood Bumper
Automotive tire Rectangle Road surface Wood Grey

Used the template and a pick to poke the template as it was held against the rubbers to mark where the bolt holes should go. The hole location on the rubber were hard to see so I used a ball point pen to highlight them and then clamped one of the backing plates against the rubber and drilled the 1/4" bolt holes into the rubbers. Enlarged the holes slightly in the rubbers with a 9/32" drill bit to make threading the bolt through them a bit easier. Found four new bolts as the heads on the old ones were beat up a bit and I also applied a couple of coats of black paint to the one surface of the backing plates that will go against the rubber and let them dry.
Purple Rectangle Wood Grey Violet
Wood Rectangle Grey Road surface Tar
Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Rectangle Office ruler
Wood Rectangle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Once the paint had dried I threaded the bolts into the rubber as I held it on the back side of the auger paddles. Then I set the backing plate in position, started the nuts and tightened the bolts up. Checked and the rubber was a smidge too long (which I figured it would be) and hit on the blower housing so I used the sander to slowly sand a bit of the rubber away until it cleared and the auger rotated freely. Did the same with the second rubber paddle and then gave the backing plates a couple of coats of paint. The rubber paddles should work fine and do fill in some of the opening between the auger paddle and the housing so should make the snow caster work better in light snow feed conditions. I also trimmed the cardboard pattern by about a sixteenth of an inch on both sides so the next rubbers I cut may fit better and require less sanding.
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire Automotive wheel system
Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Car
Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Gas
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

Still have to check the gear case oil level and then I think I can install the duct swivel, chute control and gear case cover plate and see how the chute mechanism works after the modifications and additions of the snow carpet gaskets.

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Checked the gear case oil and it was down about 3/16" below the filler plug opening so it got topped up and the plug reinstalled. Set the lower gasket in place on the duct swivel and applied a light coating of grease on the gear teeth and the area where the swivel contacts the gear cover hole metal.
Tire Blue Automotive tire Helmet Collar
Tire Helmet Automotive tire Wheel Blue
Automotive tire Tire Membranophone Bicycle tire Wood
Horseshoe Blue Wood Font Jewellery
Automotive tire Azure Blue Hat Bumper

Removed the one upper chute mounting screw for clearance and slid the duct swivel into the gear case cover - noticed I had the cover upside down so corrected things. Once that was done I installed the chute control and loosely bolted it in position to the cover. The chute control assembly can be installed through the rectangular hole by turning the control 90° and slipping it into the rectangular shaped hole.
Musical instrument Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Wood Gas Electric blue Metal Fashion accessory
Automotive tire Asphalt Gas Machine Wood

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Took a couple of pictures so that people could see how the chute control gear engages with the duct swivel gear. Also did a quick measurement across the duct swivel opening for those interested. Added a flat and lock washer to the chute control mounting bolts and things looked good so I set the gear case cover into position on top of the housing. It slid in from the rear and dropped into place nicely where I had added the slight extension at the rear to keep snow from being directed to the gear case area. First thing I did was to align the upper gear case cover bracket hole and start a bolt into it. Then I installed the rest of the mounting bolts and tightened then up and then I set the upper gasket onto the duct swivel.
Tire Crankset Wheel Automotive tire Wood
Crankset Automotive tire Plant Tire Gear
Gas Motor vehicle Water Plant Circle
Wood Gas Electric blue Auto part Audio equipment

I checked and with the addition of the two gaskets the duct swivel has a little less up and down movement but still is a nice loose fit so it rotates easily in the cover hole. I adjusted the chute control in the slotted holes so it is angled away from the tractor at the upper end to provide a bit more hood clearance at the swivel joint. Installed my home made rubber seal on the duct swivel and then tried the chute control to verify that the duct swivel still rotated smoothly which it did.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Audio equipment Gas Auto part

Installed the closure plate and left it so there is a bit of clearance between the rubber seal and it - I adjusted it a bit closer and the rubber wanted to bind and turn on the duct swivel when I rotated the duct swivel. I may have to glue the rubber seal to the duct swivel but for now will try it like this and see how it works out. Did a few test rotations with the chute control and everything seems to work smoothly - may have to increase the spring tension on the dog to keep the control from turning on its own still but for now will leave things as is.
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Electric blue Auto part
Hood Automotive tire Electronic instrument Audio equipment Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Gas Machine
Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire

Now I can start on the two chute pieces by getting them cleaned up and installing new snow carpet pieces in them. One thing I would like to do is to mount a small linear actuator with about a 4" stroke on the upper section of the chute so I can control it as a defector from the seat to direct the snow down if required. Just got a Princess Auto flyer and see they are coming on sale next week so will have to see how my tractor funds budget is looking.

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Picked up the chute assembly and took a few pictures of the old snow carpet - looks like it has seen some abuse over the seasons since I installed it inside the chute but it sure does a great job of keeping the wet snow from accumulating and plugging the chute opening. Took the two handle pieces, washers and bolts out and separated the upper and lower chute pieces - apparently I am missing one of the large star washers that help to lock the upper chute in position at an angle once the handle pieces are tightened up.
Green Wood Natural material Tints and shades Rectangle
Gas Wood Cylinder Metal Font
Wood Font Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool
Automotive tire Wood Tire Rim Bicycle part
Plant Wood Bumper Gas Automotive tire

The insides of the chute pieces have some rust and pitting on the inside and the outside so they got cleaned up and sanded with the wire brush and some sandpaper.
Wood Gas Metal Tree Font
Wood Gas Beehive Rectangle Apiary
Wood Artifact Gas Art Metal
Automotive tire Tire Gas Bottle Bicycle part

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Then after a couple of washing with some paint thinners they got some fresh paint applied to make the pieces look better and slow down any future rusting. I really don't want to alter them much in case the linear actuator idea does not work out so I may just try and make a couple of bracket pieces to bolt to each section and use a hinge at the join area so that the upper part can be easily tilted downward. Another option might be to make up two new square shaped chute pieces like the later models used and set these two pieces aside on the shelf as the square shape might be easier to have the top section fold down over the lower section. Will have to do some thinking on it over the weekend - decisions, decisions, decisions.
Wood Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Wood Asphalt Road surface Bumper
Grass Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Plant
Rectangle Plant Wood Automotive exterior Gas
Wood Outdoor furniture Outdoor bench Bumper Rectangle
Light Table Automotive tire Sky Bumper

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Came up with a plan that I think will work - it will retain the first chute section and I will try and make a new upper section in a rectangular U shape. Used a piece of cardboard wrapped around the top area of the lower chute and drew out the shape of the curved opening. Then I cut out the cardboard piece that would give me a piece that I could trace onto a piece of metal to make the top of the shoot flat so that an upper section can hinge at the center and fold down over the first section. I found a short piece of metal I had saved that I had shaped into a chute for my homemade snow blower several years ago so figured I could use it to make the short filler section.
Plant Automotive tire Fender Gas Bumper
Hood Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire
Plant Wood Anvil Art Tool
Plant Gas Grass Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Automotive wheel system

Got the metal rough out - will have to weld in the holes and trim / fill in the edges a bit but should work.
Plant Wood Sculpture Font Art
Plant Wood Grass Gas Bumper

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Got the new piece of metal filled in and shaped to conform to the shape of the top of the original chute section - not perfect but should work ok. I also cut and drilled three bolt tab piece of metal that will allow the filler piece to be bolted onto the top of the original chute section - will have to drill one hole in the original chute at the top which can be easily welded back in if the need ever arises. This way the original chute pieces can easily be put back in operation if desired. The tabs got tacked to the chute filler - it then got removed and the tabs were welded to the extension and the welds sanded.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Helmet
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Wood Composite material
Wood Composite material Metal Auto part Gas
Motor vehicle Wood Plant Automotive exterior Bumper
Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

The filler then got bolted into position with the two outside bolts and a hole was drilled to match the hole in the middle tab. The third 1/4" bolt was then installed and I now had a filler piece that gave the first section of chute a flat top.
Automotive tire Cookware and bakeware Bumper Gas Plant
Plant Automotive tire Automotive exterior Grass Asphalt
Plant Table Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

Did a test fit of two door hinges I picked up at the hardware store on the weekend and also made a cardboard pattern that should work to form a top rectangular shaped U flap that will attach to the top of the hinges. This will allow the flap to fold down over the end of the first chute section to direct the snow - the flap can be raised or lowered by a 12 volt actuator - thinking will need about a 4" travel but will know better once the top flap is made and in place.
Bumper Wood Gas Motor vehicle Machine
Wood Composite material Gas Stairs Automotive exterior

121 - 140 of 179 Posts