Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a opportunity to purchase a old Bolens tractor, have not seen it yet, but talked to the owner, and he tells me that it has no reverse. Did Bolens make some tractors without reverse or is it just broke. I would think that it should have both a forward and reverse, i cant imagine fighting this machine with a snowplow on slippery surfaces. any help would be great, thanks.

·
the homeless tractor hoarder
5,247 Posts
Sounds like a Ride-A-Matic with a bad reverse wheel. If thats the case, it is a very desirable machine and can easily be "fixed".

Ride-A-Matics don't have a geared reverse - they have a rubber friction wheel to back up. That rubber wheel tends to wear out and/or get rotten every 50 years or so. :poke:

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts
The early reverse on the walk behinds and Ride-a-Matics was bronze , later years (1957) and after used a friction fiber disc.

I am currently building an order to get these remanufactured so if its the fiber one and you end up getting it let me know.

·
Super Moderator
5,799 Posts
How many 2 wheel bolens actually had a reverse? Did the versamatic? The majority of the walk behinds wouldn't have had reverse.

·
DB restorer
2,850 Posts
it always seemed unfortunate that Bolens didn't offer a reverser kit, like DB did that would have fit on any tractor. Wasn't there reverse on the old models with steel wheels.

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,233 Posts
I have a opportunity to purchase a old Bolens tractor, have not seen it yet, but talked to the owner, and he tells me that it has no reverse. Did Bolens make some tractors without reverse or is it just broke. I would think that it should have both a forward and reverse, i cant imagine fighting this machine with a snowplow on slippery surfaces. any help would be great, thanks.
The Power-Ho models are quite common, but they did not have reverse. ....I used one of these to plow snow for a few years on my flat driveway. ....It is almost impossible to stall one of these tractors while plowing. ...The wheels will spin before the engine will stall.

It does get tiring if you have to back-up a lot. ....You need to push down on the handles to get the snowplow off the ground while pulling back at the same time.

If you are buying this tractor especially to plow snow, you may want to keep looking for something different. ...Later Bolens VersaMatic

tractors do have reverse as well as multiple forward speeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts