Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,706 Posts
Nice to have a large frame with a hard cab in the winter time. Looks like you have a bit of work ahead of you but hopefully the engine comes loose easily for you.

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Fixer of Broken junk
5,143 Posts
If it's been sitting for a while check your belts. You might just have a belt that is rusted fast to a pulley.

Exhaust sticking straight up in the air without a flapper or cover is just asking for trouble.

I would probibly just pull the heads. Carbon around the valves likes to swell and stick valves. Depending on how thick the carbon deposits are it could even keep the engine from turning over. Seen that happen on quite a few old Onan and Kohler opposed twin engines that had sat for a long time.

I had an old cast iron 16hp Briggs that had what I thought was a rusty spot in the bore but it ended up being a big hunk of carbon on top of the exhaust valve. It bent the valve when I got it to turn over. I should have just pulled the head before trying to crank it up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's been sitting for a while check your belts. You might just have a belt that is rusted fast to a pulley.

Exhaust sticking straight up in the air without a flapper or cover is just asking for trouble.

I would probibly just pull the heads. Carbon around the valves likes to swell and stick valves. Depending on how thick the carbon deposits are it could even keep the engine from turning over. Seen that happen on quite a few old Onan and Kohler opposed twin engines that had sat for a long time.

I had an old cast iron 16hp Briggs that had what I thought was a rusty spot in the bore but it ended up being a big hunk of carbon on top of the exhaust valve. It bent the valve when I got it to turn over. I should have just pulled the head before trying to crank it up.
Thanks, there was a can over the exhaust so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll remove the heads as suggested.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have 2 1886'S (Kohler 482) that I thought were seized but found that the magnets inside the flywheel had come loose and were attracting to the stator making the engine seem to be stuck!
Good to know, I will definitely get that engine out and have a good look around before opening it up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts