Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 54"deck, in the front center there is a spindle. right next to that is an idler, then the tensioner pulley.(CORRECT?) When the PTO is engaged, the belt just comes off the tensioner, just like peeling an apple, Does anyone know any causes of this? And wow, what a puzzle to mount. Thanks to all who sent pictures!! :rocker2:

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
I have no familiarity with that deck in particular but in general pulleys all need to line up in the same plain or the belt will ride to one side and come off when any power is run through it. Check it for physical alignment. If it has been worked on before you got it things could be out of alignment.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, yea, i thought so, but this is now on the back burner until i get my carb problem resolved.

·
Make Stuff Up
2,710 Posts
I was having the same problem on my HT23 with 54" deck, turned out the bearings in the gear box are bad.

But with me the belt would go around a couple of times and then it would "lock up" and the belt would peel off.

When I rolled it around by hand, I could feel it "catch" and it wouldn't turn any further.

Good luck and I hope you get it fixed

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks BTS, I run it, and I can watch it just peel right off. I can turn the gear box by hand, feels good. I was under it looking last night, and the one idler/tension pulley nearest the center spindle is 3/4" higher than the rest. might just be a loose bolt.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixed problem. PO must have had it apart at sometime. removed deck, removed idler / tension pulleys, check bearings / bushings, ok. pulleys were put on backwards and upside down. re-assembled and tested, ok. works good now. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts