Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Member
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a manual for a Bolens B6A5S 2 wheel tractor. Just purchased for $125. Came with turning plow, bedder, cultivator, planter and disc. Doesn't run. Motor is free but valves appear stuck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,740 Posts
Welcome to GTT.
 

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
Joined
·
3,239 Posts
road1949 said:
I need a manual for a Bolens B6A5S 2 wheel tractor. Just purchased for $125. Came with turning plow, bedder, cultivator, planter and disc. Doesn't run. Motor is free but valves appear stuck
Your tractor was known as the Bolens Gardener. ......I do have manuals on the tractor and most of the attachments which were available at the time. .......Hopefully, I will be able to post them in the Manuals Forum by next weekend, if Brian (Bolens 1000) doesn't have them.

It is not uncommon for the valves to rust and attach themselves to the valve guides on older Wisconsin engines. ...(Your tractor should have a Wisconsin engine unless it was replaced.)
 

·
Connoisseur of Rusty Junk
Joined
·
5,623 Posts
:wave: road1949 Welcome to GTTalk! It's good to have you here! You're in great hands with these guys! someone will get you what you need. In the meantime, enjoy all that the forum has to offer!
 

·
DR. Bolens
Joined
·
19,063 Posts
Bruce Dorsi said:
Your tractor was known as the Bolens Gardener. ......I do have manuals on the tractor and most of the attachments which were available at the time. .......Hopefully, I will be able to post them in the Manuals Forum by next weekend, if Brian (Bolens 1000) doesn't have them.

It is not uncommon for the valves to rust and attach themselves to the valve guides on older Wisconsin engines. ...(Your tractor should have a Wisconsin engine unless it was replaced.)
Bruce,
I dont have anything on the Bolens Gardener.
if you have the files in jpeg format you can e-mail them to me if you want.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,740 Posts
Bolens 1000 said:
Bruce,
I dont have anything on the Bolens Gardener.
if you have the files in jpeg format you can e-mail them to me if you want.
I seen a bolens gardener the other day in the junkyard. To bad it was all busted up and bent.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bruce, Pulled the head and sure enough both valves were stuck. How do I go about freeing them.
Don (road1949
 

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
Joined
·
3,239 Posts
road1949 said:
Thanks Bruce, Pulled the head and sure enough both valves were stuck. How do I go about freeing them.
Don (road1949
VERY CAREFULLY! .......(Sorry, I couldn't resist.) ...........Lots of penetrant and patience is the key. ......Soak the valves & valve guides repeatedly for a few days before trying to move the valves.

Rubbing alcohol is sometimes effective on rust, but evaporates quickly. ......50%ATF-50% Kerosene is another good penetrant. .......Kroil, PB Blaster, are pretty good. .....WD40 not as good.

Do not pry on the valves, as they will bend. .....Instead, try tapping them down lightly with a hammer (if they are stuck open)while you are rotating the crankshaft. .........You can also try rotating them, buy try not to mar them up with pliers or pipe wrench.

If you exert too much force on them before the penetrant has had a chance to work, you can twist the head off the valve stem, which is not good! ........Once you are able to move them a little, you need to keep applying penetrant and moving the valve up & down a little at a time. ......Patience is needed!

Good luck!
 

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
Joined
·
3,239 Posts
road1949 said:
I need a manual for a Bolens B6A5S 2 wheel tractor. Came with turning plow, bedder, cultivator, planter and disc. Doesn't run.
Your wish was my command! ......I posted 17 files for the Bolens Gardener Tractor & all the info I have for the attachments for these tractors. .......They are posted in the Manuals section, under Bolens, 2-wheel walking tractors.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many many thanks Bruce, This is just what I needed. As I am a new member I am limited to only 2 downloads a day. You and the rest of the GTtractortalk have been a huge help already to my first Garden tractor project. I've already downloaded the file for my B6A5S.
Have it saved and ready to get to work on the tractor. It will be quite a project as it has been stored outdoors for many years with the exhaust pointed up.
Lots of rust but the piston and crank are free. The exhaust push rod is stuck. Just getting started and it may take a while. THANKS AGAIN Don Hoelscher (road1949)
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top