Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a soft cab for a tube frame and need some help figuring out how to assemble it. Also I think I am missing at least one of the supports. Does anyone one have any pictures that show how the frame of these are put together and how they mount to the tractor?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Good luck with your cab.

I purchased a used cab this summer and it was said to fit a Wheel Horse....(and I have several).

I too am missing brackets, and I don't think my cab was meant for any model that I have!

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I found that I can make many of the parts with just a heavy vise. I can crush the ends of tubes for flats that I drill through for bolt up connections. I bend small pieces in the vise with a hammer to make brackets. I was considering building a cab frame out of 1/2" emt when I get the time. I have a bender for emt so it should look good. I'd use the side of a refridgerator to make a hard top. The problem would be the sides. Good Luck, Rick

·
Super Moderator
54,039 Posts
Maybe it's time to make up drawings of these brackets so folks can make those they need!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Maybe it's time to make up drawings of these brackets so folks can make those they need!
Good idea, but there are so many different models of GT's and each model would need specific mounting hardware......But I like the idea....do mine 1st! HaHa

·
Super Moderator
54,039 Posts
I'd be happy to do some drawings, but I need sketches and measurements to do them from.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you can figure out what pieces you need I might be able to help, but no promises.

Rick, with all that stuff, I never managed to find enough of the right parts to put even ONE cab together.
I am missing parts 27 and 28 that mount to the foot rests and connect to the front uprights, 28 and 30 which are the foot guards, 11 or 12 one of the front corner posts, and 7 or 8 one of the front braces. This frame was made to fit a G14 or similar model and I plan to mount it on a 1050 so I will need to make a new rear mount.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found that I can make many of the parts with just a heavy vise. I can crush the ends of tubes for flats that I drill through for bolt up connections. I bend small pieces in the vise with a hammer to make brackets. I was considering building a cab frame out of 1/2" emt when I get the time. I have a bender for emt so it should look good. I'd use the side of a refridgerator to make a hard top. The problem would be the sides. Good Luck, Rick
Where do you get the pipe you use to make the frame pieces?

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Where do you get the pipe you use to make the frame pieces?
I salvage from everywhere. I don't scrap much of my metal(but should). I eventually will have a use for most of it. My favorite resource is our local transfer station. We have a "Swap Shed". Things that are still good are put in there. If you want it, take it. I have picked up almost everytype of thing there from albums to washers. One day several years ago there was a box with about 30 pounds of miscellaneous stainless steel nuts and bolts. Within two hours they were all sorted into my hardware cabinet. One great source is the steel pipe frames for temporary shelters. I can't find enough for what I want(cover over big trailer).

One of the factory cabs that I have uses 3/8" rods for the frame. I bought a dozen 3/8" by 6' threaded rods at a tag sale for 25 cents each. They will work if needed. I also strip LTs that I can't reasonably fix. There is a lot of interesting hardware on them. You have to use your imagination and recognise opportunities that you may not need for a few years. Almost 40 years ago in the Army, I was an excellant scrounge. Even Colonels came to me( a 2LT) with requests. It was mostly just remebering where things were and having a good relationship with most of the civilians. Good Luck, Rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts