Garden Tractor Forums banner

Bolens Engines

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  accidentalchild 
#1 ·
Got a question for you historians, why did Bolens use the engines they did? So, they used the Wisconsins in lots of 'em, but then they switched to Techumseh. Why? Tecs have always seemed to me to be a cheaper and lower quality than even Briggs. Am I wrong on this? Why would they go from something with so much quality, to something not nearly as good?

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Bolens was always a step ahead and often years ahead of their time, when Tecumseh came out with the electronic ignition on their HH series it was a big deal and maintenance free on an ignition system was a big selling point, plus the largest engine that Wisconsin made that fit into a tubeframe was the 12HP TRA12D while Tecumseh had 14HP,15HP,16HP engines available

#4 ·
Along this same line, did Bolens ever use a Craftsman engine? Did Tech ever make a Sears engine? Looking at a tractor, 125?, with a G12 hood and a craftsman engine. Hack job I think but if it runs and works?

#6 ·
Along this same line, did Bolens ever use a Craftsman engine? Did Tech ever make a Sears engine? Looking at a tractor, 125?, with a G12 hood and a craftsman engine. Hack job I think but if it runs and works?
Craftsman never made an engine, they would order them from Tecumseh with their branding stamped into them, alot of manufactures did this.

#7 ·
Thanks much for that info. You confirmed what I thought. So that Craftsman engine would probably be an original engine made by Tech. All the numbers are Sears numbers so will have to go that route for parts. It needs a starter right off.

#10 ·
Funny that Bolens quit the wis. engine ,that they didn't go with more Brigs... They were built in the same town.( or neighboring towns ) Milwaukee , Wi.

Like Critter said,,,, cost .. Did Brigs make a Horizontal back then..???
Look at all the old Gardeners, Power Hoe's etc. also the David Bradley tractors that had the Briggs horizontal engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.