Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
Okay early Bolens model tube frames and large frames used roll pins to secure the wheel to the axle. I've seen the Bolens 850 model 190-01 that uses them the 190-02 uses shaft collar, Many of the 1256-1886 also use roll pins. My H16 has these spindles and they seem "loose" in the axle, is this how they are supposed to be? Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/oologahan/media/DSCF3296_zpsdcb269fc.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

·
DR. Bolens
19,063 Posts
All the ones I've ever seen except the 600 had set collars with set screw type bolts that thread into the collar.

The 600's just used a cotter pin

The 190-01 is the husky 1000

My 1256 Had the set collar as well.

I feel confident saying any ones with roll pins were put in by the owners ( not the factory)

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
All the ones I've ever seen except the 600 had set collars with set screw type bolts that thread into the collar.

The 600's just used a cotter pin

The 190-01 is the husky 1000

My 1256 Had the set collar as well.

I feel confident saying any ones with roll pins were put in by the owners ( not the factory)
There are three sets of Bolens spindles on ebay, two for large frames, one for tube frames, but I really don't care one way or another about that, I have shaft collars anyway, Can you tell me about the play in the spindle/axle hole? Thanks a bunch

EDIT: I searched MANY manuals here and never saw ANY tractors that had roll pins, there were some large frames that used a cone and race bearing similar to the Simplicity's only with a cotter pin. I suppose my roll pins were added in stead of a cotter, but the H16 isn't supposed to have a cotter, so Bolens 100 is probably right when he says there must be a bunch of guys drilling holes in the spindles, question is, is why?, Oh well we'll never know, cause we aren't smart like those self taught mechanical engineers

·
DR. Bolens
19,063 Posts
There are three sets of Bolens spindles on ebay, two for large frames, one for tube frames, but I really don't care one way or another about that, I have shaft collars anyway, Can you tell me about the play in the spindle/axle hole? Thanks a bunch

EDIT: I searched MANY manuals here and never saw ANY tractors that had roll pins, there were some large frames that used a cone and race bearing similar to the Simplicity's only with a cotter pin. I suppose my roll pins were added in stead of a cotter, but the H16 isn't supposed to have a cotter, so Bolens 100 is probably right when he says there must be a bunch of guys drilling holes in the spindles, question is, is why?, Oh well we'll never know, cause we aren't smart like those self taught mechanical engineers
I dont deal with the large frames much so I cant say what kinds of spindles they used.

I think alot of people stripped out the collar when putting the pin back in and they decided to shove a roll pin in as a simple fix. I had a few where the threads were crossed from carelessness.

I watched the video about the play in the spindle and have never seen that much play in that area before.

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont deal with the large frames much so I cant say what kinds of spindles they used.

I think alot of people stripped out the collar when putting the pin back in and they decided to shove a roll pin in as a simple fix. I had a few where the threads were crossed from carelessness.

I watched the video about the play in the spindle and have never seen that much play in that area before.
I thought the play was excessive, what should I do?

·
DR. Bolens
19,063 Posts
I thought the play was excessive, what should I do?
I'm wondering if you could sneak some bushings in there?

I dont believe there were any bushings in the cast iron housing originally as typically that was not a heavy wear area. I have no idea how that excessive play developed... either someone really abused the heck out of it or someone used the wrong spindle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts