Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bolens H20 with no engine. I have a 13 HP diesel, liquid cooled, and 18 HP B&S Or ? . What do you think should power this hydrodrive tractor? Right now I only have a snowblower but may add other stuff later. Will post a picture soon.

CNM

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
Welcome to GTT. I'm sure you will get some diverse opinions on your question. Personally I don't know much about diesel's so I would tend to go with the B&S for the sole reason that I do know how to work on them.

·
Simplicity Enthusiast
2,379 Posts
Welcome to GTT. I'm sure you will get some diverse opinions on your question. Personally I don't know much about diesel's so I would tend to go with the B&S for the sole reason that I do know how to work on them.
Bill raises a great point. Diesel has the cool factor, as well as fuel consumption and torque benefits, but gas is user friendly.

At least you have two great options! I don't think you will need to search any further.

....and WELCOME!

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,796 Posts
If your planning on using it THIS WINTER go with the Briggs.Fab Time and Scrounging Parts up will take you a Few months Plus the time you'll need to work out any Gremlins that Always seem to pop up when your out of time and Need the machine.

You all ready have both engines so you can always swap the Diesel into her after you get all the parts you'll need.

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
Welcome to GTT. The HT20 is a great tractor. I would go with the Briggs just because it will probably be easier. Get it all working right and then add a cab to the tractor for your comfort while working it. Check out our Manuals Section for 3 free downloads per day. Good Luck, Rick

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Welcome to the club. I am guessing you mean a HT20

The diesel will not be enough power to run the tractor with a attachment.
That's interesting? Wasn't the first large frame a 12 horse model? I would have thought a 13 horse diesel would be enough?
Have You tried it and not liked the result?
I have an HT 20 to repower and have considered such an engine. Can You elaborate please!

Thanks!

Joe

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
I have a 1250 and to tell the truth, it's marginal when it comes to power. It does do a great job with a Haban Sickle-Mo, but those take very little power to run. I'm thinking that with a tiller or plow behind it, it would really struggle.

The LFs really didn't come into their own until the 1886, so I'm thinking that even with the increased torque of the diesel, 13 HP is going to be marginal.

I'd recommend the 18 horse Briggs over the 13 horse diesel.

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
I have a 1250 and to tell the truth, it's marginal when it comes to power. It does do a great job with a Haban Sickle-Mo, but those take very little power to run. I'm thinking that with a tiller or plow behind it, it would really struggle.

The LFs really didn't come into their own until the 1886, so I'm thinking that even with the increased torque of the diesel, 13 HP is going to be marginal.

I'd recommend the 18 horse Briggs over the 13 horse diesel.
The 1250 can do more then you think. Pull yours out of the weeds and try tilling plowing with it......

·
Deceased
1,441 Posts
i would either get a 3cyl diesel like a kabota or yanmar or go back to the kohler like it had i wouldnt put no junk briggs in it... i dont like briggs personally but if thats what youwant go for it.. i have a perfect 3cyl kabota diesel for that

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
Pull yours out of the weeds and try tilling plowing with it......
The last time I looked, it wasn't in the weeds. To the contrary, it had just knocked down a bunch of weeds :D :D :D

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:74789]

I have one or two other LFs that are a bit more suitable for heavy work that the 1250.

I know that the 1250 can manage a tiller, plow, etc, but when I have tractors that will do the same thing with a lot less effort and use less fuel doing it, there's no need to stress the 1250.

·
Tractorholic
283 Posts
13 hp diesel in a ht20 will be fine. I've run my 12.5hp kubota with the mower and snowblower and it does just fine. I've got a few videos of mine on YouTube if you want to check it out.

Reactions: Cat385B

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a bolens H20 with no engine. I have a 13 HP diesel, liquid cooled, and 18 HP B&S Or ? . What do you think should power this hydrodrive tractor? Right now I only have a snowblower but may add other stuff later. Will post a picture soon.

CNM
The diesel is an L2E but I have a lead on a L3E. I think the 13 HP may be small in the cold weather. Thanks for all the feedback.

·
1,206 Posts
Just curious what 18HP Briggs to you have. I've got some of the 18HP horizontal shaft twin L head engines and those things are pretty nice. I put one into a tube frame tractor and it works great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts