Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Deceased
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled out the 20D since the last time that I had problems with it 2 winters ago an I think I'm having starter issues but the only way I see to get the starter out is to take all the cooling shroud off. Anyone done one before?

·
332 Posts
Yes, several times. It takes a steady hand. The bottom bolt it the hardest to get at. I just take the top cover off and go at it from the top. You have to use a allen wrench on the one closest to the side and the other two I used a 1/4" drive ratchet and part of a allen wrench that I had cut off. It's not fun but it can be done. The first time I took it off I dropped the wrench down inside. Used a magnet and came out with three.

·
Deceased
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you I will pull it tomorrow

·
332 Posts
I finally found some one that fixed mine for me. He actually found a new solenoid for it chamfered the bendix and lined out the brushes too. I barely could get it to start when it was 65. Now it will start all winter long with no trouble.

·
Tractorholic
988 Posts
I lifted the engine on mine a bit to make taking off the front shroud easier. Did you check out the shop manual I posted some time ago in the engine manuals section under "Wisconsin"?

·
Deceased
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't had time to pull it I got the cover off just need to do the 3 bolts in the starter

Reactions: LPBolens
1 - 7 of 7 Posts