Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've recently acquired an ht23 and I need some advice regarding the u joint used to connect the hydraulic pump to the countershaft. Its a Johnson loader if that helps. The ujoint and yokes need to be replaced but I can't seem to locate a source, either locally or online. Ear to ear (outside) on the yokes is 17/8". Bearing diameter is 5/8". The yoke ends are 5/8 round with a 3/16 key and the other end is 3/4 square shaft. The bearing caps must be a slight interference fit as I don't see any retainers.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to put this little tractor to work and see what it will do.

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
HI welcome to GTtalk.

Can you post a photo of what your talking about? I am kinda lost at what your talking about.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Welcome to GTTalk. HT23 with a loader! That sounds like a nice setup. There are a lot of Bolens experts on here and I'm sure they can help you out.

·
Deceased
1,441 Posts
HI welcome to GTtalk.

Can you post a photo of what your talking about? I am kinda lost at what your talking about

:ditto:

·
Tractorholic
8,349 Posts
Welcome to GTTalk ! I'm sure they'll be an answer to your question soon , these Bolens folks really know there stuff here !

·
Super Moderator
54,039 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Check my signature for help with pics!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone for your welcome. Special thanks to case closed for his help. He encouraged me to join the site after I complained to him about the many "fools errands" I have been on trying to repair this tractor.

I will post some pictures soon. Boyscout 862 thank you.........I went to the surplus center and ordered one of their ujoints. The yoke outside dimension is the same, maybe I can make it work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
P1000124.JPG

Hello again,

I hope the attachment can be opened. Its the picture of the drivetrain assembly I mentioned. I ended up ordering the little ujoint from theujointstore.com. Should be here any day now. The picture doesn't show it very well but one end of the u joint is 5/8 round and the other end is 3/4 square. Thats 3/4 square stock on one end. I have some 3/4 stock and when the new u joint gets here I will cut to length.

This is the part that connects the pump for the loader to the pulley assembly on my ht23.

1 other unrelated question

-I understand I can use Type F transmission fluid in the hydrostat. Do you guys recommend that?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I recommend Napa's or Tractor Supply's Universal tractor fluid. It's all I use in my HT-23's and other large frames.

Make sure you drain as much of the old stuff out as you can, before adding a different fluid then what you have in there.
And use the proper filter, regular oil filters will fit. But they have a by pass in them which you don't want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts