A Little Off Plumb
For the past several years I have been using my 18538 Snow Caster to remove the snow in my driveway and on several occasions have experienced the roll pin that retains the smaller gear to the input shaft breaking. This usually happens at a most inconvenient time during the snow removal process and to replace it is time consuming as it requires removing the gear case, draining the oil and disassembling it to insert a new pin. I used to experience the same thing in the gear case on my 42" mower deck which is very similar. Several years ago I purchased a new gear case with the updated spiral cut gears for the mower deck and installed it and I have not sheared a pin since using the mower deck (knock on wood that this trend continues). Last February the pin in the snow caster gearcase sheared so at that time while I was replacing the pin I noticed the teeth on the two original straight cut gears were worn as well as the pin hole in the input shaft. At that time I decided to order two new gears, a new bearing and seal kit and a new input shaft from Bolens Parts and Supplies so that I would have them on hand the next time the pin sheared - from experience I knew it would be a matter of when and not if. This winter season has been rather strange and up until last week the snow had been coming and going on its own which made me quite happy. Last Thursday we got a good dumping of the white stuff (6" to 12" where the wind had piled it) so it was time to put the tractor and snow caster to work. About two hours into snow removal duties the pin sheared again so things came to a halt and I parked the tractor back in the shed and removed the gear case to begin the upgrade.