Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Bolens walk-behind tractor that I think is a Versamatic.

Information I found said it was built 1954--1957.

It has a Briggs & Stratton engine that looks to be original. I found some numbers on the engine and am looking for help deciphering the number(s).

The numbers are 107076 400870.

The tag was painted over and I cleaned it off to find numbers. There wasn't anything else readable on the tag once the paint was removed.

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,265 Posts
You can find info on most of the Bolens walk-behinds (late 1940's-1950's) here:

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/files/category/127-bolens-walk-behinds/

You can find manuals for several models of the Bolens VersaMatics here:

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/files/category/138-bolens-versamatic/

You can compare the pics in the manuals to what you have.

However, if you clean off the flat part of the chassis behind the engine, you may find a Bolens tag giving the tractor model number.

The numbers you posted above for the B&S engine are not complete. ....There should be a model number to the left of those numbers on the same plate.

If you have the original B&S engine and if you have a VersaMatic, it is probably a model 15FB or 15FC tractor.

Edit: I just saw that you posted a pic in another thread. ...Yes, it is a VersaMatic, as Brian said.

Is the B&S engine cast-iron or aluminum? ....If it is cast-iron, it is probably a Model 8 manufactured in August 1953.

Bolens manual for the 15FC-01,02 says B&S Model 8. ....8 is a cast-iron engine.

Bolens manual for the 15FC-03 says B&S Model 8B. ....8B is an aluminum engine.

·
DB restorer
2,850 Posts
versamatics are very easy to tell, because of the control shifter on the handles, no other Bolens used that style. also they had reverse which tractors before this didn't have.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I am sure I am wrong but didn't the versa's use kohlers and the power ho's use briggs. or am I thinking the super versa?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts