Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mark J.
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've been looking for a used ZTR for quite some time. I currently have a Toro Timecutter 52" deck. Has about 1000 hours. We have 2 acres of grass that takes about 1 hr and 15 minutes to mow. I wanted something a little bigger and newer. One finally popped up on CL about 2 hours away from me. I jumped at the opportunity and brought it home last night. It's a 2015 Hustler Raptor SD with the 60" deck and 99 hours on the Kawasaki 24 hp engine. Previous owner moved and didn't need the mower for the much smaller property that he bought. He paid $5300 new (I have the bill of sale) and I paid $2500. I think that was a good buy considering the type of engine, brand of mover, and size of deck. Oh, they only come with fabricated decks. Lots of good review for these. Had to remove the deck to get it onto the trailer so I don't have pictures with it complete.

Here is one of it in my shop minus the deck.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Here is one off of the net.

H2750A.JPG

Attachments

·
Mark J.
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You did get a real good buy.
Good luck with it. Hear nothing but good about them.
Thanks!

They're made in Hesston Kansas. Gotta love that!

Reactions: 4getgto and KennyP

·
Super Moderator
54,599 Posts

·
A Little Off Plumb
8,420 Posts
Nice find - looks like you are getting ready to do some custom work with two zero turns. :thumbs:

·
Mark J.
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice find - looks like you are getting ready to do some custom work with two zero turns. :thumbs:
The plan is to sell the old toro ztr to help pay for this one. Hoping to get a couple hundred dollars. It's got about 900 hours on it. I'm not getting rid of my Toro gmt 200.

Reactions: 29 Chev

·
Mark J.
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That thing may feel out of place with all your old classic machines.

Don
It does feel out of place, but at least it's not as temperamental as the older machines. Had to have something that everyone could use easily.

·
Fixer of Broken junk
4,842 Posts
wow that's nice. Good deal to.

Make sure you change out the fluid in the drives. It makes them last Alot longer. Most pump manufacturers recommend changing it between 50-100 hours the 1st time to remove any fine metal particles in the fluid that is produced by the break-in of the pumps and drive motors. Lawn tractors transaxles are the same but the store or dealer normally will not mention anything to you about that when you buy 1 especially if you get 1 at a Big Box Store.

This is from Tuff Torqs oil maintenance manual. Most of the other hydro manufacturers will have a similar recommendation interval for fluid changes.

Oil changing is recommended after the 1st 50 hours of operation and every 200 hours, thereafter.

·
Mark J.
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow that's nice. Good deal to.

Make sure you change out the fluid in the drives. It makes them last Alot longer. Most pump manufacturers recommend changing it between 50-100 hours the 1st time to remove any fine metal particles in the fluid that is produced by the break-in of the pumps and drive motors. Lawn tractors transaxles are the same but the store or dealer normally will not mention anything to you about that when you buy 1 especially if you get 1 at a Big Box Store.

This is from Tuff Torqs oil maintenance manual. Most of the other hydro manufacturers will have a similar recommendation interval for fluid changes.
Thanks and Thanks for the information Eric!

The owner told me that he serviced the hydros at 50 hours and replaced the filters. I didn't even know it had filters on the hydro. My old Toro ztr didn't have any filters on them. The next time I have to service them I was going to replace the oil with Royal purple. I did that in my old ztr when I had to rebuild one of the hydro and it kept them working with no issues for 10+ years.

Reactions: EricFromPa

·
Mark J.
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I switched out the blades with the mulching blades and added the baffles. Installed the deck. Everything seems to be in good working order. I tried it out and hear are my thoughts.

1. Wow! It has lots of power!

2. Rides smooth with the upgraded suspension seat the the previous owner installed.

3. Cuts nice

4. It feels wider and longer then the old one.

5. Can't wait to try it out on the whole yard.

6. Very happy!!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Tire Gas
Bumper Gas Tool Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Wheel Plant Tire Sky Vehicle
Wheel Land vehicle Tire Plant Vehicle
Plant Lawn mower Tire Wheel Mower
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Yellow Vehicle Machine

Attachments

Reactions: 4getgto and 29 Chev

·
A Little Off Plumb
8,420 Posts
The one picture was too much temptation for me to resist - looked like it was just waiting for a caption. Hope Mark approves.

Attachments

·
Mark J.
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Love it !!! So true!!

Reactions: 29 Chev

·
Mark J.
2,251 Posts
Here are a couple of side by side pictures for comparison. There is a lot of differences between the two in size.

Lawn mower Wheel Tire Mower Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Lawn mower Riding mower Plant
Plant Lawn mower Riding mower Wheel Mower

Attachments

·
Mark J.
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I posted my old mower on marketplace and it sold within 2 hours. I originally paid $475 for it used 15 years ago. After putting 700+ hours on it and several repairs I asked $500. I had 18 responds and sold it to a man for $540. He was very happy to get it. He was going to use it for his new landscaping business. I showed him all of the points to grease and that he can rebuild the spindles and hydros very easily, if he needs to. He was very excited. I had several people who offered me $600 but it felt right selling it to him. Hope he takes good care of it.

·
Mark J.
2,251 Posts
Update on my Hustler.

I've have this for a couple of weeks and so far I'm impressed. The 24 hp Kawasaki runs smooth and strong. The grass is not as thick as it will get in the summer so we will see if that changes or the cut. The cut looks great with no unevenness compared to my old Toro. It took 1:00 hr. to mow compared to the normal 1:15 hr. of old mow time. It's top speed is 7.5 mph while the old Toro top speed was 11 mph. The hydros seem to very sensitive compare to the Toro. With the suspension seat, the ride is smooth as can be.

First two are looking towards the back of the yard.

Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape Botany
Plant Sky Tree Flower Natural landscape

From the back looking to the house.

Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape Vegetation

Close to the house.

Plant Tree Building Natural landscape Sky

Attachments

·
Mark J.
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tough to judge size,distance from pictures but looks like you're mowing a good 2 acres or more..?
Looks good..
Thanks.

Very close. The whole property is 2.25 acres. I'd say 1.8 of it is grass.

Reactions: 4getgto
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.