Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I'm looking for some help on this. I've been reading past posts about box blades. I have a Massey 12 and would like to level my backyard out a bit. I took a pool and deck down. Am i better off making one?Buying? Can I rent one? lol sounds rediculous but I had to ask that one.

Thanks

Mike

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
My homemade box blade

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Agricultural machinery

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

You can use the Brinly blade or box blade they have but you need the rear lift on the tractor and a sleeve hitch.

Brinly blade

Road surface Asphalt Gas Cylinder Soil

lift and hitch needed on the tractor

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the lift assembly but not the hitch. I'm thinking of making the hitch part. People on ebay just want wayyy too much.

·
Electric Tractors
5,639 Posts
The box blade I made is a 4ft length of angle iron with the ends closed off and railway spikes welded to it.

I used a couple pieces of flat bar and a chain for the lift.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doug,

Do you have to flip that over to use the spikes?

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Love that box Doug, still think it looks mean. :D

If you are planning on using the tractor with a bunch of different ground engagement implements, the sleeve hitch is probably your best bet... But if you are going to one-off specifically for a project or you want to build it very heavy duty like Doug did, then you have the best plans one post up.

Even if you find or build a hitch later, you can rebuild anything like Doug's to include a sleeve hitch.

You will want to decide now if angling is of any interest to you. The Brinly blade does have 30 degree angling built in.

·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love that box Doug, still think it looks mean. :D

If you are planning on using the tractor with a bunch of different ground engagement implements, the sleeve hitch is probably your best bet... But if you are going to one-off specifically for a project or you want to build it very heavy duty like Doug did, then you have the best plans one post up.

Even if you find or build a hitch later, you can rebuild anything like Doug's to include a sleeve hitch.

You will want to decide now if angling is of any interest to you. The Brinly blade does have 30 degree angling built in.
Not looking to angle. For me just loosing the soil and spreading it will do the trick. Of course I have the tiller and plow but I would rather try a box blade.

·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry i have a Dozer/Snow blade. Are there plow days in CT? lol

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
I have the Brinly for my 314/317. It's cheap and available at HD online. I used it last year to level the church parking lot. It did the job. It's 38" wide. I'm not sure how wide a 12 is but it's actually a bit narrow for the JD's which are 42" wide. You can take the side wings off it and use it as a rear blade as well as turning it backwards to push. For the money it's not bad.

·
Tractorholic
432 Posts
I just got a rear blade for my MF10 and 12. I looked at the Brinly but I wanted a 48" blade. I went with a Kolpin 48" balde, it's fit over a 2" reciever hitch tubing. I made the sleeve hitch attachment for it. The blade end has holes for attaching side wings. It would be easy to make the side and spike part to bolt on. I'll try to get some pictures today and post them.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Nice box blade Bud, thanks for posting that.

Reactions: Bud

·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the Brinly for my 314/317. It's cheap and available at HD online. I used it last year to level the church parking lot. It did the job. It's 38" wide. I'm not sure how wide a 12 is but it's actually a bit narrow for the JD's which are 42" wide. You can take the side wings off it and use it as a rear blade as well as turning it backwards to push. For the money it's not bad.
Thanks for the info. I checked it out. Really not bad for the price. I did see your posting of the church lot when I was searching the site. It gave me some ideas.

·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
attachicon.gif
IMGP1894.JPG Here is a picture. It is 8 1/2" from the bottom of the sleeve hitch to the top of the 2" tubing, I wish I had made it 9 1/2". I also put three holes in the tubing as to change the distance of the blade to the tractor.
Wow. Nice back blade. I think you should start making them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts