Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 61 and 63 suburban. I gave my son the 63 to restore. He tore it down last year and put engine in the wheel barrow and parked in the shed with a tarp. Well I have not been back to that area in over a year and the roof leaked and tarp blew off and the engine has been underwater for who knows how long but looks like a long time. The engine ran before being removed although not well. Tonight I am going to drain it and fill with ATF or Marvel to let it soak for a few days. My question is after I flush it and get new plug and oil is it best to see if I can get running or do I invest in a rebuild kit and go through the whole engine and carb and just do a full rebuild? Opinions appreciated. Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I had a 143302 on my panzer I did about the same thing cleaned it real good. Ran ok but a year later it was dogging it really needed a full rebuild. I dropped in a brand new briggs and will rebuild the old one some day

·
7 Posts
Yea I was thinking of using 50/50 acetone and ATF. I use that exclusively as a penetrating fluid and I swear by it. The acetone helps pull the ATF into areas. I am also working on a 1980 Z28 and I was pulling the control arms out that were original hardware. I squirted them 2 or 3 times a day. for 3 days and I was able to get them apart no problem and they were rusted BAD!!! I am also a big fan of Marvel Mystery Oil and it seems to work great on the vintage stuff it was originally designed for. I never thought of kerosene though.

Plus my son now wants my Allis B10 so its up to me to fix the DB....RIck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.