Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in may I bought a Massey package deal.It came w/a complete 10 no battery,a 66 10 rolling chasis,and 5 skids of misc parts.I put a battery in the complete 10 and it fired right up.I drove it around and everything worked.I was going to part out the 66 but decided yesterday to bring it back.I'd rather have another 66 rather than a newer one due to them having an aluminum dash.The previous owner was going to restore the 66 and started taking it apart,and now decided to get out of the G.T hobby. I started swapping everything over today.It started raining so I had to call it a day.I cleaned the frame on the 66 where the engine sits.I got the engine off the donor,pulled the generator,voltage regulator,and solenoid.I got the generator mounted,the voltage regulator,and the solenoid.Engine is sitting on frame not mounted yet.

Here is the 66 10

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Plant Tire Wheel Plant Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

The donor 10

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tractor Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Hood and grill removed from the 66.Frame cleaned

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Hood removed from donor 10 Engine removed

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Nut Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Plant Wheel

Generator mounted engine sitting on frame

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Plant

My goal is when this is completed is to mount a snow plow on it and put in my garage for the winter,and use it to push some snow.My snow blower is in need of some repairs that I havn't gotten to yet.

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will really like the snow plow, it works very nice. the on the seat adjust is great, but if its wet and heavy snow you will need weight on the front to angle the blade and push.
Yes I will,I used one of the blades on my Dads 12 to clear there driveway 2 years ago and it worked great.I used 4th gear and even plowed up hill.Also did his neighbors his son had his skid loader in state collage.You can't see them they are mounted on the inside but the donor 10 has a set of aftermarket weights on it that i'll be using.So it should do alright.

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
Yes I will,I used one of the blades on my Dads 12 to clear there driveway 2 years ago and it worked great.I used 4th gear and even plowed up hill.Also did his neighbors his son had his skid loader in state collage.You can't see them they are mounted on the inside but the donor 10 has a set of aftermarket weights on it that i'll be using.So it should do alright.
Watch for chains too. They make such a huge difference.
I think it was Bolens 1000 that made rubber "chains" that worked pretty well too.

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tonight I got the drive belts on,engine bolted in place,drive belt tensioner spring was in place but had no c clips.I borrowed 2 clips from the donor tractor and secured spring.I bolted the rear in place it was only being held on by 1 bolt.I removed the brake band it doesn't have any lining.I was going to swap bands w/other tractor but they are different.I'll try to find something to reline it with.I also noticed the one hub is missing a c clip also it started sliding off when I was bolting the rear to the frame.

Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread Bumper Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread Tire Wood

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Over the weekend I added a John Deere 110 brake band to the tractor.The band that was on it had no lining and the newer 10 and 12 use a different set up.I probably could've adapted that on but I found this one in my parts.All I had to do was shim the band away from the frame so it would sit on the drum properly.I also put the lift handle on.I tried pulling the handle off of my donor tractor but I snapped the square head off I drilled the old screw out but havn't been able to get it off yet.I pulled the handle off of one of my other parts tractors.It also needed the depth gage bracket.It took forever to get the bracket off the threads on the nuts were stripped.I put the sleeve hitch brackets and pivot on last night after the farm work was done.Ran out of daylight and had to use my flashlight.What a pain in the neck that was.Hopefully it's smooth sailing after this.

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Bumper Wood Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive exterior Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Wood Vehicle brake Wheel Automotive tire Cannon Wood Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tonight I finished putting the 66 back together.Over the weekend I was on the way home from the scrap yard and a house had about 10 wheels and tires sitting out front for sale $5 a pc.I picked out the best 2 that were left.They were 23-9.5x12.They already sold the 10.5 tires before I got there.They were all off of wheel horses.I brought them home and stuck them on the 66.All I have to do yet is bring home snow plow,align the front wheels,and figure out what I'm doing for a seat.Here it is w/the different sneakers on.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wheel Furniture Automotive tire Tread

Attachments

·
Tractorholic
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is this guy who lives near you who has an attic full of JD stuff, probably a seat up there you can get by with for now. :poke:

Glad you got the tires, best weight them down and get some chains if you plan on doing serious damage this winter.
Ah yes a J.D seat to go with the brake band. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts