Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Are the Briney lift rods still available for my tube frame.??

I'm making my own hitch and all is going well there.. But the diagram is a bit confusing on the lift rod..

Is the part of the rod that attatches to the hitch upright,,, just a free floating sleeve,,, with cotter-pin adjustments.??? The Briney instruction manual,, It looks more like a threaded rod on the tractor side with a nut..Just in front of the up-right...

I might be better off just buying one if available...

Would someone be able to show me a pic of one to get a better idea of what they look like..?? ( Thanks ) I have the prints to make one but they are a little vague in the pics... View attachment 145913

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
The instructions for building the sleeve hitch has very good instrucions for building the lift rod. There are no nuts or threads on it. A sleeve is welded overe the rod in the correct position and a few holes drilled in the attachment end for adjustment. They are no longer available unless you can find a used one some place. I made my lift rod in less than an hour. Good luck.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Cheiffan and Husky...

I bought the 5/8 rod and the only pipe I could get over it was 3/4 " It seems like it would be a very sloppy fit.. I a'm wondering if I could ream out a 1/2' iron pipe to be a bit tighter,,especially on the welded piece... I don't want to take away to much of it's strength thou. Is there other pipe I should be using.???

Thanks sodi

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Cheiffan and Husky...

I bought the 5/8 rod and the only pipe I could get over it was 3/4 " It seems like it would be a very sloppy fit.. I a'm wondering if I could ream out a 1/2' iron pipe to be a bit tighter,,especially on the welded piece... I don't want to take away to much of it's strength thou. Is there other pipe I should be using.???

Anybody...????? Thanks sodi

·
Proud to be Deplorable
29,904 Posts
On Ryan's sleeve hitch on his Massey, (I know this is the Bolens forums, but I just can't help myself) we used a high pressure hydraulic line piece from a friend. It had walls about 1/2" thick.
We did have to drill it thru to get the sleeve hitch pin in, but it won't ever get pulled open.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Most pipe, especially if cut with a pipe cutter has a ridge on the inside that needs to be removed. I used standard gas pipe on mine and it fit nice and snug. Had to use a round file on the inside of the pipe a few times to get that ridge cut out.

Reactions: sodisr
1 - 7 of 7 Posts