Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting around to restoring the implements that came with my 1220, this time I'm on the mower deck.

I'm attaching a picture of the breather, part number 182682. It looks to me like it's broken. It sort of looks like a bunch of brass "toothpicks" all sheared off in the breather hole in the gear case breather hole. Can anyone confirm that this is in fact broken, or if maybe this is some sort of fancy "permeable" breather insert?

Assuming it is broken, does anyone have a photo of what it is supposed to be? I've been searching all around for a replacement part, but I'm turning up nothing, and I can't even find pictures of what it's supposed to be or how it's supposed to function so that I can come up with some sort of alternative solution.

IMG_1952.jpg
 

Attachments

·
Fixer of Broken junk
Joined
·
4,767 Posts
Got any good ideas of how to clean them? I have a couple that are clogged up with dirt and junk. 2 on the back of the good rebuildable Mikuni fuel pumps and the 1 on my 2000 series Cub Cadet transaxle.

The one on the Cub should get fixed asap because it keeps blowing fluid up past the dipstick. It does need a new O-ring on the dipstick but it should not be blowing fluid up past it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I'd try soaking the fuel pumps in kerosene, then blowing through the breather from the inside with very low pressure compressed air. For the Cub, I'd probably do something similar but with carburetor or brake cleaner. You'd have to blow air into the transaxle unless you tore it down enough to access the other side, but this isn't really a problem as these breathers are not directional.

Technically they are replaceable, but finding them is the problem.
 

·
A Little Off Plumb
Joined
·
7,833 Posts
Got any good ideas of how to clean them? I have a couple that are clogged up with dirt and junk. 2 on the back of the good rebuildable Mikuni fuel pumps and the 1 on my 2000 series Cub Cadet transaxle.

The one on the Cub should get fixed asap because it keeps blowing fluid up past the dipstick. It does need a new O-ring on the dipstick but it should not be blowing fluid up past it.
You may be able to press or drive the bronze breather out with a punch or a piece of hardwood dowling the same diameter pushing against it - try using gentle baby taps to see if it is starting to move ok. I have removed the ones on the Tubeframe 6 speed transmissions on my 1050's and 1053 using the punch method which are very similar. Once removed they can be soaked in thinners or brakleen for a day or two to soften the crud and then could blow them out with compressed air. GM used the same type of material for some fuel filter applications on cars and trucks back in the 60's. They do tend to not vent as well as other vent systems but are great at keeping any debris out. The vent in my tubeframe snowcaster gear case is the same style as the one shown in the picture. Could also try an ultrasonic cleaner if you have one - may want to replace the o-ring on the dipstick as it may not be a snug fit and any pressure build up as things warm up may force oil by the dipstick o-ring. Just a couple of suggestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks all, I was hoping it wasn’t broken, since it didn’t have any sort of central hole, and it seemed like the guy I bought it from had been using it to cut grass.

Glad it’s all set, then! I’d love to find a spare or a possible replacement in case it ever plugs completely, but maybe I can just keep it clean and my fingers crossed. I guess worst case if it ever got totally ruined and I couldn’t find an exact fit, I could drill and tap the breather hole to accept a modern sintered bronze filter.

Cant wait to get cutting when my new belt and blade adapters get here!
 

·
A Little Off Plumb
Joined
·
7,833 Posts
Thanks all, I was hoping it wasn’t broken, since it didn’t have any sort of central hole, and it seemed like the guy I bought it from had been using it to cut grass.

Glad it’s all set, then! I’d love to find a spare or a possible replacement in case it ever plugs completely, but maybe I can just keep it clean and my fingers crossed. I guess worst case if it ever got totally ruined and I couldn’t find an exact fit, I could drill and tap the breather hole to accept a modern sintered bronze filter.

Cant wait to get cutting when my new belt and blade adapters get here!
As long as gear lube is not being pushed out past the bottom or front shaft seals I would not be too concerned as the vent is probably releasing any pressure created inside the gear case as things get warmed up. If something does happen the bronze vent and it gets plugged you could drill and tap the hole and make a vent out of some brass pieces and a spring the same way I did for my 38" deck gear case in this thread Bolens Tubeframe 38" Mower Deck Project - check out post # 130. Just a suggestion. Good luck with your grass cutting.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top