Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
New owner to a HT22 tractor (export Ducati-diesel).
My problem now is the cast front part that holds the steering and PTO.
It is broken and a former owner (not a pro) has tried to weld it many years ago.
My question is if it's possible to do a reliable repair of this rather important part. What do I tell the local mecanic to do?
I do have little welding experience but I also understand that it's important that this is done more correctly than before.
I my say that I am a little impressed with the solusions and design of this chassic, just hope to get it running well.

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,273 Posts
You don't want to take it to a mechanic - You want to take it to a WELDING SHOP that has experience repairing cast-iron.

Cast iron can be successfully welded or brazed, but it takes a competent person to do it.

Anyone who just strikes a welding rod to it is doomed to failure. ....Cast-iron needs to be preheated and cooled slowly to prevent cracking.

If there is room, a steel reinforcing strap may possibly be added.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Bruce is 100% correct. Cast needs to be heated, then welded and air cooled slowly. My local welding shop guy learned from his Dad who was very knowledgeable on metal welding and fabrication. They have 3 patents that I know of for equipment the Dad designed and built.

Reactions: boyscout862

·
Registered
474 Posts
Welcome to GT Talk.

I of course do not know your abilities or your access to tools. I myself would machine and fab a new part out of steel.

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
Welcome to GTT. Download manuals from our manuals section, they're free. There is a shop manual for some of the large frame Bolens tractors. It may have information to help you. Are you in Sweden? If you are, we have several other members in Sweden with Bolens tractors. Good Luck, Rick

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Are you in Europe?
you should look at Austin’s topic
Purchased HDT1000 #11!
he had someone remake that part for him out of steel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts