Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body got any ideas how I could extend my bucket width about 8" on each side, so it would be wide enough to plow snow with. 42" wide would be good. Tractor is 36" wide. Bucket is 26" wide. They use to do it with manure buckets years ago, on the old farm tractors. Can't remember how they did it. I want something easy to put on and off. Don't want the extra width on the summer. Thanks for any ideas.

Noel

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another picture.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Why use the bucket when you have the blower right next to it? The way that loader is built with so much high framework if you get into some real wet snow a larger bucket could get you into a lot of trouble fast. There is a reason they made the bucket that small to start with. Pushing snow no problem but when you start lifting it - - - - "I can go another foot higher with no problem". That loader scares the heck out of me.

Just my opinion of the situation Propane1.

·
Old, but not dead -- yet!
3,342 Posts
With the bucket pivots located where they are (on the side of the bucket), I think you will have a problem trying to make the bucket wider, if you still want it to dump.

Most loader buckets have pivot points behind the bucket, so adding width is fairly easy with those.

Is that a Chevelle under wraps?

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
I agree with Chief Fan that going wider would be hazardous with the high lift frame. You could do it easily enough if you extend the bucket further forward and put you lift pivots on the back, section the bucket and put a filler in the middle.

Better still would be to make a quick attatch plate like is used on skid loaders and get a bucket off a skid loader bucket for snow.

That would allow you to make other atttchments to fit and change easily. examples would be a manure/hay fork buckets etc.

·
Getting Out!
8,205 Posts
Forget the bucket! Take that off and mount a blade out there. Power Kings had that set-up for theirs and works well. YOu can still push snow, but then raise blade and push UP and Back on the pile to move it back farther. I built one using orig measurements and orig style push blade for PK. Sold the rig in fall, never pushed snow. Did OK on gravel drive for grading tho. You can hook the hydraulics for the dump to move blade side to side. One cylinder is mounted rigid to the frame on the PK with no problems, as you only need one to do turning.

·
Super Moderator
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just some thing to have fun with chieffan. I have three blowers in the garage. Plus a tractor, lgt100 ford, with a plow on it. This loader is homemade by myself, just to have fun with, which have had a lot of. I don't plan for it to do heavy work. Just a toy to play with. Thanks for your thoughts.

Noel

Reactions: Alc and boyscout862

·
Super Moderator
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks GL. Good idea.

Noel

·
Super Moderator
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another good idea, tater195. I was thinking about that too.

Noel

·
Tractorholic
3,907 Posts
Forget the bucket! Take that off and mount a blade out there. Power Kings had that set-up for theirs and works well. YOu can still push snow, but then raise blade and push UP and Back on the pile to move it back farther. I built one using orig measurements and orig style push blade for PK. Sold the rig in fall, never pushed snow. Did OK on gravel drive for grading tho. You can hook the hydraulics for the dump to move blade side to side. One cylinder is mounted rigid to the frame on the PK with no problems, as you only need one to do turning.
Alright I will tell one on myself. Back in 71 I worked the 12-8 shift in an all night station on the interstate.

Boss had a Ford 4wd pickup with one of those new fangled Meyers electric hydraulic plows.

I pushed the snow up to a pile raised the plow and pushed it back. Dumb kid ran too far up on the pile and snow built up behind the plow front wheels just spin..

Took about an hour to scoop it out? be careful when you do that.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Alright I will tell one on myself. Back in 71 I worked the 12-8 shift in an all night station on the interstate.
Boss had a Ford 4wd pickup with one of those new fangled Meyers electric hydraulic plows.
I pushed the snow up to a pile raised the plow and pushed it back. Dumb kid ran too far up on the pile and snow built up behind the plow front wheels just spin..
Took about an hour to scoop it out? be careful when you do that.
My buddy did that in his 79 Ford while plowing our church lot. He rammed snow too fast with b!ade too high, truck ended up high centered with all 4 tires off ground. Took him 2 hrs to did it out.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I would make a blade that clips onto the bucket, then if you need to use bucket, unclip the blade in a matter of a few minutes. I think it would be the best way and the new blade won't take up much space when not in use, more room for more tractors

Jim

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I plow with a bucket every year, I roll the bucket forward until the edge is pointing at an angle back towards the tractor. I've done it for years with several different tractor/bucket combos, best method I ever found, pushes snow to beat hell!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.