Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all of our southern neighbours here today we built a quinzee [snow cave] The weather is -17 c with the wind chill of -28c .There calling for -30 c tonight windchill of -34C. So all of you you have planted gardens etc: already and spent some time working the ground with the GT's here's what I've been doing today.We've left about 4-6" over burden its amazing how warm its in there when working shoveling snow.

Attachments

·
Collector of Rusty Junk
3,186 Posts
I have never seen enough snow to make one of those.

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
That is a great survival tool that takes skill to build. I teach my scouts about them in Wilderness Survival Merit Badge Training but we've never had a campout at a time that there was enough snow. Thanks, Rick

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Nice looking snow cave. You guys sure get real winter out there. The cold kinda makes me cringe. It's -9c here this morning and that is too cold for me!

·
Old Tractor Addict
1,846 Posts
Never heard the term before but I have been in many snow caves. As kids (4 boys) in Kalamazoo late 60's, seems like we did that every winter.

Thanks for the pictures and the education.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The idea behind doing this was to show my son that it doesn't take that long to make one [for survival].They built one in school took them a couple weeks off and on,so I had to show him how fast we could make one.It took us a little over 1 hr.Plenty big enough for 3 of us and even the dog.You stuff a back pack into the opening close up the entrance once your inside and a candle will keep it a decient temp for sure just like criters1 had mentioned.Oh yeah we also put a small air hole in thru the roof,it serve's 2 purposes one of course for air and the other to show how much over burden you have..

·
Registered
977 Posts
That takes me back to 7 years old and "The Blizzard of '47", Westchester Co. NY. My Dad piled a ton of snow from the driveway up so's we could tunnel it out! Nobody else's Dad in the neighborhood did that, I had the coolest Dad in the world!

·
GT Lunatic
5,840 Posts
That takes me back to 7 years old and "The Blizzard of '47", Westchester Co. NY. My Dad piled a ton of snow from the driveway up so's we could tunnel it out! Nobody else's Dad in the neighborhood did that, I had the coolest Dad in the world!
I don't feel so "old" now! :D :D :D

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
My dad used to do that too. Thanks for the reminder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts