Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm working on a '75 Case 444. Bought it in August and have been working (slowly...along with a house remodel) on fixing it up. I'm putting it back together this week and am pretty excited to actually get to use it...except for one thing: I'm 6'3" and it feels like the tractor was designed for much shorter legs than mine. I see two rows of holes on the metal plate that the seat attaches to and that appears to be a way to adjust the seat position. But unless I'm just not visualizing it right, it looks to me like the seat is already at the furthest back position. I've got the rear PTO rototiller on it and the valve for that is just a couple inches behind the seat, so it doesn't look promising for me to fabricate some kind of seat adjustment solution.

Any other taller folks out there that feel more than a little cramped sitting on one of these?

I see a Craigslist ad for a mid 80's Case 448. The post says the engine needs rebuilt, but other than that it looks to be in really good shape...lots better than mine (although I would miss the desert sand hood). I read in another post that the frames on the 80's models were 4 inches longer than the earlier frames. Does that translate into any more leg room?

If so...mine has a sleeve hitch and the rear PTO on the back. Would that be compatible with the later model?

Thanks for the help!

--Bryan

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Bryan;

For the seat you could bolt two pieces of angle iron under the metal hinge plate and have it extend back a few inches. Drill the holes where you want them and bolt the seat down. I'm 6'1" and prefer the 1980 and later machines. The frames were extended 2" not 4" in front of the dash tower to the seat. So yes it does help with long legs. Another way is to raise the seat a few inches.

As far as compatibility the rear pto and sleeve hitch will not work. The pto steel lines will be to short and the sleeve hitch lift link/arm will be to short. That's all. So if your handy those things could be remedied.

Reactions: whitefishblues

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as compatibility the rear pto and sleeve hitch will not work. The pto steel lines will be to short and the sleeve hitch lift link/arm will be to short. That's all. So if your handy those things could be remedied.
Thanks for this information. That's exactly what I was looking for. I could probably flail around and figure it out eventually, but the seat spacer sounds much better to me. I'll give that a try.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Raising it up hadn't occurred to me until you both suggested it. That would probably be just as effective as moving it back, maybe more so. I think I'll plan on that.

Unfortunately tonight I found one more hurdle to clear before I get it ready to go. The mounting holes on the bottom of the engine are stripped out. I searched the forum on that and it looks like heli-coils are the solution, and fortunately the local farm store has a kit in stock! So I'll have to take care of that before I do anything with the seat. I wonder how much I'm going to have to remove from the engine to get it to where I can sit it on it's side and work on those holes without hurting anything? Guess I'll find that out soon!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts