Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have two Case gt's and starting via generator is fine. However, the batteries run down in a couple weeks. Since the gens spin and crank the engine, I assume a charging issue must be the regular. Is that a known problem ?? How do I test it ??? Thanks.

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,169 Posts
Attached is a Case electrical system manual document that may help you - since you have not stated what model of Case you have you will have to verify that the starter generator is wired the same as on your machine.
I have encountered Delco Remy starter Generators (I assume yours is a Delco unit) that will crank the engine but still not charge the battery a couple of times - in both cases the armature was partially shorted to ground enough to prevent current output to charge the battery. You will have to do some test to determine whether the generator or the regulator is at fault as per the test procedures in the document.

Here is a link to a thread I did on the one on my Bolens tractor and there are links in it to other documents that may help you determine what is wrong. Hope this helps
Delco Remy Starter Generator Used On Some Bolens Tube...

Attachments

·
Fixer of Broken junk
5,021 Posts
If it's a cheap Wallmart battery you are lucky to get 4 years out of it before it freezes which is pretty much the death of any battery.

If the charging system isn't working you only have about 1 maybe 2 hours of run time depending on how big and healthy your battery is. A bad charge indicator will cause a parasitic draw depending if its wired through the switch. Some garden tractor charge indicators are not wired to the switch. Is your charge indicator needle wagging like a dogs tail when running? If so then it is bad.

A frayed brush wire can cause it to charge/discharge intermittently. Dirt and moisture inside of a starter genny can cause a bit of a parasitic draw.

I would pull the starter gennys and take them apart and clean and inspect them. They are pretty easy to take apart and clean.

Not related?
Found a problem with the newer aftermarket regulators. If you use sand paper on the points they tend to stick because the contacts are not hardened contacts like they are in an OEM regulator. If the cutout relay contacts stick it will send battery power to the starter generator with the key in off position. Which will crank the engine over. Had to quickly whack the regulator on my Cub 169 with a wrench once but it's been ok since then. Got lucky it didn't burn up the wiring harness. Just something to keep an eye out for.

·
Super Moderator
6,647 Posts
Is there something about having to polarize a starter/generator or is that just a generator. Member hearing about that different times. And have been told how to do it. But can’t remember of course.

Noel

·
A Little Off Plumb
9,169 Posts
Is there something about having to polarize a starter/generator or is that just a generator. Member hearing about that different times. And have been told how to do it. But can’t remember of course.

Noel
Good question Noel - sorry I missed it earlier - will blame it on the hot weather.
My understanding is that to polarize a regular Delco generator on a 12 volt negative ground system it is necessary to loosen the belt so the generator can rotate, have the regulator and all wiring connected and then temporarily connect a jumper wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the A (armature) terminal of the generator. This should cause the generator to temporarily act as a motor and start to rotate and the generator would be considered polarized.

In a 12 volt negative ground starter generator circuit when the unit is used initially to start the engine the process of 12 volts positive being applied to the A (armature) terminal is done automatically each time the engine is started.

If you study the illustration attached you can see that every time the motor (starter) switch is closed there is a direct connection between the A (armature) terminal on the starter generator and the 12 volt positive terminal of the battery creating the polarizing action. On garden tractors (such as my Bolens 1053) the motor switch is actually a key activated solenoid switch that closes to connect the A (armature) terminal and the positive terminal of the battery.
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Engineering

1 - 5 of 5 Posts