Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Cylinder Office supplies Font Auto part Bicycle part

I was just cruising around the Speedway Motors website and came across these 'coilover height mockup tools' and thought dang, i would have bought this instead of an actual cat0 top link a few months ago when i bought one for my Case. It's roughly the same length range and has 5/8" ends. I like the 1" increments (by pulling the pin and sliding in/out) so you could quickly change the length (while it was unloaded) by a large amount without having to spin it a million times. Only problem is they're sold in pairs. Looks like about the same 'unit cost' as a regular top link, just with more functionality. I'd probably extend the pin so it serves as more of a handle for cranking in the adjustment, or maybe just weld one onto the tube. My cat1 Kubota 3pt uses essentially a 'cat0 top link' as a leveling link so if one were to buy 2 you might easily find use for the other one. Just seemed nifty.

But i'm gonna do a power top link for my Case anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right you are. I couldn't find anything below $30 when i was looking.

My Case is a bit odd now as it's got homemade Cat1 arms on it and my cat0 top link, which is longer than that $25 one, is extended all the way out already. I do have the stock Case cat0 arms which that $25 one should work for.

I have not decided how to do the power top link yet. I have an electric-over-hydraulic cylinder i may use (have another identical one in use at top link on my kubota b6100) but it's ironic that in my case, i would have to add an electrical system for it as my Case is repowered by a predator 212 and has NO electrical system whatsoever. The hydraulics are already there of course, but piecing togethervalve, lines and fittings seems to get expensive quick compared to wire and crimp connectors! :p

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
You can buy 3 of these and have money left over to cover shipping, I have 3/4 of these and they work perfect and they also have a 2" shorter one

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, i guess if the question is 'would you spend $15 more dollars to move a pin by inches at a time instead of spinning a handle by one thread at a time' the answer is no, i guess because most people with cat0 just don't have a reason to adjust their top link all that much. Kind of makes sense to me if the types of cat0 attachments are just usually less varied than cat1 which could be all kinds of weird attachments that might make use of different angles.

I was looking for a small hydraulic cylinder in that cat0 top link length range to possibly use as a hydraulic top link for my Case and i think i found one.. steering cylinders from Case 480/580 backhoes?! I didn't see their measurements really posted anywhere but it looks like a 1.5" cylinder with a .75" rod and about a 8-10" stroke. I just bought several off ebay that were listed pretty cheap (and he took offer below asking price). I was thinking maybe bucket cylinders for a garden tractor loader, cat0 top link, cat1 tilt link.. i have lots of ideas so let's see what actually gets accomplished. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, that's from the ad of the ones i bought. I actually bought all 5 the guy had because they were cheap and i could think of 5 uses. o_O

We'll see how many i follow through on!

Another reason i bought them is i have a very silly but very strong preference for cylinders where both hose connections are made at one end of the cylinder.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok im gonna sound stupid again but I've had to loosen and tighten the 3pt 'stabilizers' on my Kubotas several times in the last few days and it's so tedious it got me thinking about upgrading them (they're currently turnbuckles with jam nuts). I know about Stabilworks stabilizers which i think is a great design and great product but when i thought of those, it also reminded me of these links i had originally posted as possible top links.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Gas

Unlike stabilworks with their different hole spacing on both pieces meaning you can probably line up one of the holes every half inch or so, these would only line up in 1" increments but you could then twist the body for final tension. So, i ordered them and will see how impractical it is to run them as stabilizers! If it doesn't work out, they'll find some other use.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, i got them a while back, and I hadn't noticed when i ordered but in the pic above it shows an empty hole on the black tube. Turns out you can stick the pin through 2 different holes and they are half the spacing of the holes in the inner part so you can line up holes in, i believe, 1/2" increments.

Anyway, I worked my butt off trenching 900ft of water line and my B6100 that I am putting these on was hooked to the pto trencher that whole time, and ive been fixing up another b6100 loader my friend bought that needed a lot of work, so i haven't put any time into 'upgrades' of my own stuff lately.. but i hope to get to this soon! They do look nice and shiny sitting in the shop. :LOL:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts