Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
55,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and picked this up yesterday. Owner was trying to start it with ether, caught it on fire. Burnt and melted a few things. Has new tires all around and the oil is new. Got it to fire on carb cleaner. Think the solenoid on the carb is not working and that was the issue. Told him it might take $200 to get it back right. He said if it did, I could keep it. It's in real nice shape as far as looks. Has the foot pedal hydro (shaft drive). I'll know more today.

·
Super Moderator
55,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got some pics for you folks! For a late 90's model, it looks very nice. Even the deck is in great shape.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Here's the carnage:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Auto part

Only has 389 hrs on it:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Rectangle Asphalt

Pulled the solenoid and carb bowl. As I suspected, the solenoid was toast and full of crap. Along with the carb bowl having crap in it.
Food Tableware Liquid Kitchen utensil Dishware

Caught this as I cranked the engine over:
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Dishware Drinkware Serveware

This was in the solenoid:
Brown Organism Wood Natural material Pattern

Snipped the end off the solenoid and cleaned the bowl out. Took a bit to get the carb filled back up, but it ran on it's own.

·
Super Moderator
55,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Fixer of Broken junk
5,051 Posts
I'll have to look. Can't remember what I did with the plastic parts from the 2160 that I bought last year that had a bad crank seal and a blown rod. I know that I have an unbroken air cleaner cover. If a vertical shaft Kohler Command CV12.5 blower housing will fit I have one of those. Should be the same but I'm not 100% sure.

Hope you don't need the Fan. Don't think I have one but I'll look. I pulled the carb and coil and stator and a few other parts and junked the rest of the engine.

I have to much "good stuff" in the shop. You know it's bad when you trip over stuff trying to get to the Vice on the work bench. o_O

You can have them for what ever shipping cost would be.

·
Super Moderator
55,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have to look. Can't remember what I did with the plastic parts from the 2160 that I bought last year that had a bad crank seal and a blown rod. I know that I have an unbroken air cleaner cover. If a vertical shaft Kohler Command CV12.5 blower housing will fit I have one of those. Should be the same but I'm not 100% sure.

Hope you don't need the Fan. Don't think I have one but I'll look. I pulled the carb and coil and stator and a few other parts and junked the rest of the engine.

I have to much "good stuff" in the shop. You know it's bad when you trip over stuff trying to get to the Vice on the work bench. o_O

You can have them for what ever shipping cost would be.
I have already got parts coming to fix this, but Thank You for the offer.

·
Super Moderator
55,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh ok. Cool.

Ya I gota start getting rid of stuff but I really hate to in-case I need it. Sounds like I'm a bit of a Hoarder but every time I clean the sheds/shop out I regret it 2 months later when I need something that I had. :unsure:
I know exactly what you mean! What I trash today is needed in a week!

·
Super Moderator
55,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the deck off today. Getting things lined up to pull the engine and install the incoming parts.

·
Super Moderator
55,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the engine pulled so I can replace melted parts. Most parts will be here Wednesday I hope.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Automotive tire Helmet Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper
Automotive tire Grey Bumper Wood Rim

·
Super Moderator
55,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got most all the parts. Put the engine back in. Wanted to do more pics, but too sweaty/greasy to grab the camera. Got this one after I got cleaned up:
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Fixer of Broken junk
5,051 Posts
Looks Much better. So how long did it take to figure out that you didn't have to unbolt the driveshaft coupler to pull the engine? Forgot to mension that the driveshaft is splined in the coupler and it slides rite out. It is a little easier to align the bolts than it is the spline when going back together though just takes more time. Definitely Not alot of room to get a tool and your hand in there.

Never liked how small and short the bolts are. They only thread in like 5 threads into the aluminum Hub. Always thought they would break but they must be pretty darn tough.

·
Super Moderator
55,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks Much better. So how long did it take to figure out that you didn't have to unbolt the driveshaft coupler to pull the engine? Forgot to mension that the driveshaft is splined in the coupler and it slides rite out. It is a little easier to align the bolts than it is the spline when going back together though just takes more time. Definitely Not alot of room to get a tool and your hand in there.

Never liked how small and short the bolts are. They only thread in like 5 threads into the aluminum Hub. Always thought they would break but they must be pretty darn tough.
I undid the bolts. Seemed easier to reinstall that way.

·
Super Moderator
55,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Talked to the owner today. He's willing to pay for the parts & labor which is smart on his part.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts