Garden Tractor Forums banner

Charging help Bolens st110 3011g

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  bhts 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Guys in not good with these Briggs systems if someone could tell me what part I need or what I need to do that would be great. This tractor has the 11hp Briggs with the side draft carb. The classic kind you always see. I need it to charge so the electric pto will stay engaged. Is there supposed to be a diode somewhere? I can't find it. And can't find it on the parts list. It is putting out 28 volts from the stator but nothing at the battery. I know I should be getting 28vac at the battery even if it's missing the diode but I have nothing at the battery. Can can fix that part of the wiring but I still need to change the a.c. volts to dc. Does anyone know what the diode number would be? And if the charging system goes through the lights because they are not wired up. Thanks guys this can't really find a good diagram in the manuals section Bolens 1000 sent me a parts list but I'm not sure if I'm looking at it right. I don't understand these Briggs systems at all. I can get the wiring corrected but I'm still going to need the diode and part number for it correct?

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Are the headlights working? If so then it's not the diode. It's the 1st thing in the circuit. Looked through the schematic and it has a couple connectors that could be at fault.

Someone might have put the wrong ignition switch in it.

If the lights work pull the connector (part #17) and start tracing wires back to the switch and from the switch to the battery (with the battery disconnected) with an ohm meter on Ohms scale.

If you get desperate bring it down over the mountain and i'll go through the wiring for ya.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Lights are not wired up, but there is no diode i think someone may have cut it off. And re spliced it. I am not sure how to find the part number of the diode. It does need one correct? After I get that I can tackle the rest of the wiring and lights. I know I had a fun that the charging system went through the light circut. And thanks for the offer.!! Have to see what I can do here first before I give up lol

#5 ·
You can get a diode at about any electronics place like Radio Shack. Just be sure it is rated for 50 volts and put it in the right way around.. Never have seen a part number for the diode. I have a couple in the shop - will post the RS number when I get out there later on. Good luck.

The diode is what changes the AC to DC and drops the 28 vac down to 14 (give or take) vdc.

Reactions: Tecumseh power
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.