Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Thaught you might like to check out my engine swap that I decided to undertake on my mf14. I removed the fully restored k321s and replaced it with a lightly used kohler ch18s. The reason why I chose this engine is because kohler makes great engines and it made the swap much easier. The flywheel never changed mounting flange demensions over the years so the driveshaft mounted directly to the flywheel with no centering problems and the pto electric clutch mounting holes also never changed so all the difficult engineering didnt need to be done. The hardest part was designing the exhaust to fit under the factory hood which was a tight fit but came out nice and quiet. Other than that I had to move the fuel tank back approx. two inches, remove some material from the steering bellcrank so that it wouldnt contact the front of the engine while steering, clearance the grille to make room for the oil filter, then just wire it to the existing harness and start it up. She runs like a top and is incredibly smooth and makes the hydro work smoother also.

Attachments

·
4,481 Posts
Chad, Welcome to GTTalk.
That will be one tough MF 14. I take it that the front PTO all lines up as well?

·
Tractorholic
1,564 Posts
That's a really nice engine swap. The twins do run smoother not to mention the extra extra power. Good job. Thanks for sharing pictures.

·
Super Moderator
54,359 Posts
More power, WooHoo! Tim Taylor will be very proud of you! Ought to perk up that tractor a bit. Good luck with it!

·
Tractorholic
8,365 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics . That's a really nice swap you did , Al

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Thanks for the pics. The info you provided about the advantages of using these Kohler engines is very useful to others who want to re power. Looks like it is a tight fit but will surely be a big improvement for PTO work like mowing or snow blowing. Nice job. Thanks again.

·
Tractorholic
3,097 Posts
Nice info to have about the kohlers. Good job with the re-power too.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate all the fantastic replies. The pto lined up fine the engine is exactly 5/8" farther forward than the original but the belt alignment is still great. The crankshaft is now centered in the chassis rather than offset to the right side of the tractor with the k series. This was a great swap and nothing was altered on the machine that cant be reversed to restore to original. if anyone has any questions feel free to ask! Ill post more pics when the beast is finally restored.

·
Fun With Horsepower
1,280 Posts
Very helpful Chad and a nice fit. I've found a CH 12.5HP in a newer model salvaged Cub and I'm considering it for my MF12H. It would pose slightly different issues, as
its gonna sit sideways, but I'm pleased to hear how smooth and quite yours is.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I definently think that you wouldnt be dissapointed with the swap. I love my k series kohler but the ch18s is soo much smoother a quieter than the original. The hydro responds much better with the new engine. If you decide to undergo the project please post pics and keep us updated.

·
Accumulator
13,481 Posts
Chad,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.
That looks great.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts