Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked this up from a family member last year. He was going to scrap it and not knowing what he had I told him I would take it. He couldn’t get it to start but had a large pool installed that left him with no need for a riding mower. It sat outside partially covered for two years. I was really disappointed when I seen it. I have very little experience with the newer tractors and honestly not that fond of too many of them compared to the old ones.

I did get it to run last year by jumping the starter solenoid and it ran very well, I was surprised! Thanks to BMaverick and Olcowhand I found out this is a Craftsman DLT 2000 that has been repowered with a Briggs Platinum 19.5 hp Twin. My thoughts last year was to just salvage the engine, the tires, and the seat and cover it up for the winter.

This year my curiosity took over so I got it back out. All the tins, shroud, seat, hood, and battery tray had been removed by the PO leaving me with a lot of missing bolts. I got all that installed and cleaned the contacts on the solenoid and it fired right up. Now that the tractor is promising I took the deck off to find out it was in really good shape with two new belts and new blades with just surface rust. Now I’m getting a little excited. I took the tractor for a ride and was very pleased, everything worked great. I changed the oil and filters, cleaned the deck up, sharpened the blades and put everything back together. It isn’t pretty but I now have a very good running backup mower. I’m keeping an eye out for the right hood. The last pics are from last year, top pics are recent.
Tire Wheel Riding mower Lawn mower Vehicle

Lawn mower Tire Wheel Mower Automotive tire

Tire Lawn mower Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Lawn mower Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my opinion, those Craftsmans are really a pretty solid tractor. I have had them apart almost to the last bolt, and they are really quite simple.
I’m a little concerned about the transaxle being factory sealed. I watched some YouTube videos about guys showing some have rubber plugs making these possible to maintain. I’m sure with this factory design is the deaths of most of these. I might pull it into the shop over the winter and check this out. Do you know if this would be a Tecumseh Peerless transaxle. That seems to be the more common transaxle in these.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I’m a little concerned about the transaxle being factory sealed. I watched some YouTube videos about guys showing some have rubber plugs making these possible to maintain. I’m sure with this factory design is the deaths of most of these. I might pull it into the shop over the winter and check this out. Do you know if this would be a Tecumseh Peerless transaxle. That seems to be the more common transaxle in these.
The lever-controlled hydros on those Craftsmans are usally made by Hydro-Gear. I worked on a later model recently, that had two pedal control, and it had a Kanzaki Tuff Torq. If the transaxle works ok, I definitely would not mess with it. The Peerless hydros are not intended to be serviced, but I was able to change the oil in one by pulling out the breather tube and draining+fillling through that. Not sure if that has a Peerless transaxle though.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The lever-controlled hydros on those Craftsmans are usally made by Hydro-Gear. I worked on a later model recently, that had two pedal control, and it had a Kanzaki Tuff Torq. If the transaxle works ok, I definitely would not mess with it. The Peerless hydros are not intended to be serviced, but I was able to change the oil in one by pulling out the breather tube and draining+fillling through that. Not sure if that has a Peerless transaxle though.
Mine has the two pedal control which I like

1 - 5 of 5 Posts