Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Cub Cadet that will start and run perfectly fine, but after a little while it will die. There is no bogging down sounds, it sounds like someone just hit the key switch. Occasionally it will have some backfire sounds, but usally not. I think it is a gas problem, because after it dies I have to wait a while to start it again. Could it be a clogged jet or something?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please also check the cap of the gas tank!
If the ventilation hole is closed, fuel will run out for a while till the underpressure holds it back.
... I made the experience by myself.
But maybe the backfire pointto the coil as Frenk already mentioned.
Oh. That’s a good point I’ll have to check that. I think my cap has a ventilation hole but there is a possibility that it got clogged by something. Thank you

· Registered
417 Posts
Sounds like a coil to me. After it dies, check if it’s getting spark.
Yep. We have a old Briggs opposed twin that drove us crazy. It would start when cold, but often it would refuse to re-start until it cooled down. New starter helped but didn't completely fix the problem. Later we shut it off, and when we tried to start it again, nothing. No spark. We were too dumb to check that earlier. Finally bought a new ignition coil and that completely fixed the problem.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep. We have a old Briggs opposed twin that drove us crazy. It would start when cold, but often it would refuse to re-start until it cooled down. New starter helped but didn't completely fix the problem. Later we shut it off, and when we tried to start it again, nothing. No spark. We were too dumb to check that earlier. Finally bought a new ignition coil and that completely fixed the problem.
Ok. I'll have to get that then, because a lot of people are saying that. Thanks for the help

· Fixer of Broken junk
5,204 Posts
Coil could be going bad. Some bad briggs coils will still work until they get hot. Check the gap between the coil. It should be around .010 between the coil and flywheel magnet. An inline spark tester with a spark gap is the best for checking weak coils. The light up testers will still light up even if it has weak spark.
I have 1 of these. https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-42-087-Line-Spark-Tester/dp/B0086O8Q8K/ref=sr_1_11_mod_primary_new?gclid=Cj0KCQiAw8OeBhCeARIsAGxWtUxn9d5ODx17s0H8yew8Z12ywGJyYrCJKlOARrbSSPWjnXIfPJR5kKwaAkwvEALw_wcB&hvadid=616991115983&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1024858&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14256213097653581632&hvtargid=kwd-301864566465&hydadcr=24662_13611802&keywords=spark+testers&qid=1674657771&sbo=RZvfv//HxDF+O5021pAnSA==&sr=8-11

Could be a dead insect in the bottom of the tank. Those darn Yellow jackets are a bit of a problem around here. They fall in and float around near the bottom. They get sucked into the petcock in the bottom of the tank. After the engine stalls out (because of lack of fuel) they slowly float back up and out of the petcock. Let them sit for a while and it will start back up and run fine for a while then it will do the same thing again. Had to work on 3 machines just this last fall that had that problem.

· Registered
Bolens 1053 - 1970?
80 Posts
Could be a dead insect in the bottom of the tank. Those darn Yellow jackets are a bit of a problem around here. They fall in and float around near the bottom. They get sucked into the petcock in the bottom of the tank. After the engine stalls out (because of lack of fuel) they slowly float back up and out of the petcock. Let them sit for a while and it will start back up and run fine for a while then it will do the same thing again. Had to work on 3 machines just this last fall that had that problem.
Good point! I made the similar experiance at a motorcycle. The reason here was a gasket which was not fuel resistant. It was falling in pieces and blocked the fuel flow in the same way as Eric described.
However - it shows that maybe a cleaning of the fuel system would be a good idea. You can do it by yourself, including cleaning the carburator and it will not cost any money.
If it fixes the issue - fine! If not - it doesn't hurt. ;)

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Coil could be going bad. Some bad briggs coils will still work until they get hot. Check the gap between the coil. It should be around .010 between the coil and flywheel magnet. An inline spark tester with a spark gap is the best for checking weak coils. The light up testers will still light up even if it has weak spark.
I have 1 of these. https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-42-087-Line-Spark-Tester/dp/B0086O8Q8K/ref=sr_1_11_mod_primary_new?gclid=Cj0KCQiAw8OeBhCeARIsAGxWtUxn9d5ODx17s0H8yew8Z12ywGJyYrCJKlOARrbSSPWjnXIfPJR5kKwaAkwvEALw_wcB&hvadid=616991115983&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1024858&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14256213097653581632&hvtargid=kwd-301864566465&hydadcr=24662_13611802&keywords=spark+testers&qid=1674657771&sbo=RZvfv//HxDF+O5021pAnSA==&sr=8-11

Ok. Thank you very much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts