Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve started to restore my 782. I used the only red paint the local Lowe’s had, rustoleum Sunrise Red. It’s close enough, I’m not crazy about getting colors perfect. Anyways I read a couple other forums on painting in freezing weather, and I didn’t want to set up a paint booth and ventilation system, so I decided to simply brush paint. I used foam brushes to reduce brush markings. And I got my garage doors shut with the heater on. Wasn’t bad till the sun went down!

After an entire day of painting, this is my progress.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Wood Automotive lighting Flooring Red Floor

Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wood Vehicle

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

It’s not perfect by any means, but personally I think it turned out really good. I also sanded most of the paint, some smaller areas weren’t.

All that’s left to paint is the front axle, rear end, and the rims. I’m going to let this current paint dry for a day before I start painting any more. I should be able to get some painting in tomorrow. I’ll keep you all updated. Let me know how you think it turned out! Thanks!

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some more pictures here. The fenders and frame came out great but the hood is rippled up a bit. I am going to lightly sand it down, then use some compound polish to clean it up and make it real shiny
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Bumper Paint

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design

Liquid Bottle Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting Wood Vehicle

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also a quick question before I start working: To fix the ripples in the hood, should I try and sand it down a bit, then compound and polish? Or should I just paint more to go over the ripples? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,557 Posts
I would wet sand it. Use 400, then 800, then 1200 git wet sandpaper, or similar. Then your compound and polish. Let the paint dry for a few days first thou. And don’t sand to much, you may go thru to the old paint. So go easy on the 400 git. I’m not a body man, so wait for more answers.

Noel

·
Registered
740 Posts
Use 400, then 800, then 1200 git wet sandpaper,
Good advise on wet sanding and buffing. I've done a lot of scuffing and buffing in my time. I don't suggest wet sanding with anything coarser than 1200grit for buffing. Normally I wet sand with 1500 or 2000grit and then buff to a shine. Before sanding use some masking tap to protect any sharp body lines from getting burned through. A buffing machine will work best to polish the paint back to a shine. Or a lot of elbow grease.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
It looks like you put a lot of paint down. Depending on your temperature it may take awhile to dry before sanding. If your sand paper tends to load up that’s a good indication it’s not dry enough. Nice job!

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The paint is thoroughly dried. It had yesterday to fully cure and it seems good. I remember I sanded my cub cadet 1250’s paint down a bit and it worked. So I’ll try to lightly sand a bit, then polish the sanded areas. Thanks for the advice all! I will give you an update later today on how it goes 👍

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well.. through a very very rough patient day of work. ITS DONE!
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Road surface

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Tractor Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I’ve got this tractor looking REALLY good. And although not perfect, it’s definitely good enough for me! I used some compound on the hood and it definitely helps. I didn’t use much so I will use more next time. I’ve polished it all up and painted basically everything.

The white for the rims was some old wall paint that turned out to be a great color match to the original colors. Painted the area for the footrest black. Good temporary solution. The lighting in these pictures aren’t the best, in person it looks x1000 better. Later on Thursday this week I’ll get you guys some good angles and shots of it in natural light! Thursday I am also selling my CC 1250 so I’ll get one last duo picture together with them.

Thanks so much to everyone’s help and support, I will keep you all updated on questions and updates. The only stuff left is wiring, sleeve hitch, implements, and some touch ups.

As always, Let me know what you think of it! Thanks

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks really nice! I know you probably want to make that hood smooth but I personally like the rougher look.
Actually, I agree with you! I like the slight ripples in reflections.

Reactions: IHCubCadet147

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A day is OK, a week is much better. Big difference between dry and cured.
I agree dried is what you feel on top but cured goes much deeper is what you want. I’ve had to wait a month before with certain paints and temps.
Definitely agree with you there. I’ll be waiting a bit longer to really get aggressive compounding and polishing. I just tried it today for fun and it was alright. I need to be more aggressive and have more compound on the sponge.

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow! It looks really good. Are you planning on keeping the turf tires or getting some lugs?
Nope! These are crummy 8.50 wide turfs that I don’t like. I’ll be getting some 10.50 wide deestone ag tires. When I sell my 1250 this Thursday. When I receive the tires I will need some help for tips getting them on. I’ll be sure to post another topic on it.

·
( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She is looking really good!
Do you have plans for a new seat?
Yes I do! When I get deeper into the restoration with the rear lift I’ll pick up a new seat. Meanwhile it’s not all that bad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts