Garden Tractor Forums banner

Cub Cadet Original Options

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  1978murray 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Tried to do some research on the internet, but decided to ask the experts instead. What all options did the cub cadet originals come with? Was the hood ornament a option? Any info will be appreciated

#4 ·
All the ones that Texas Deere and Horse listed plus front and rear lights, rear pto, dual wheel spacers, utility box, and hydraulic lift. I'm not sure about the electric start being an option or if it came that way and the recoil was the option. I'll ask my grandpa when I see him and see what he remembers as he sold them new. And the hood ornament came from the factory not as an add on extra. Hope this helps. Stewart

#6 ·
Probably the rarest option on a Cub "O" was a M&W 9 speed . Would love to find one of them. Dual wheels were also an option.
Levi, That one wasn't offered by IH was it. I think he wanted to know about IH Factory options.

I had a chance to buy one of the M&W boxes a couple years ago, but couldn't swing the 700.00 price tag! :(

Reactions: LTD
#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I believe the IH Cub Cadet Original came with a Kohler K161 7 horse power single cylinder air cooled internal combustion engine and standard oil air filter, and a type A mechanical P.T.O clutch. Rear tires were Firestone gum dipped { zig-zag shaped tread } 6-12's, while the front tires were Goodyear 4.00-8, 5 rib { diamond side wall tread }. I believe a 38" two blade timed mower deck was standard issue. The tractor also came with a steel pan seat.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Asphalt Gas Composite material
As for the start, the original came standard with the recoil to make a price point and the electric was an option. Not sure but this may have carried on thru the 70. 71, and 72. The 73 was only offered as an electric start unit. Ijn the picture you can see the recoil - belt driven starter used on the direct shaft 7 hp models

Attachments

#9 ·
Levi, That one wasn't offered by IH was it. I think he wanted to know about IH Factory options.

I had a chance to buy one of the M&W boxes a couple years ago, but couldn't swing the 700.00 price tag! :(
I don't believe so, no. I thought he was looking for any option for the Original. I saw one of those M&W gear boxes sell on Ebay for 1500. Should'a bought that one for $700!!!

#10 ·
I don't believe so, no. I thought he was looking for any option for the Original. I saw one of those M&W gear boxes sell on Ebay for 1500. Should'a bought that one for $700!!!
I would have but didn't have the extra cash at the time!! :wallbanging:

Oh Well, it wasn't meant to be I guess..

#11 ·
I would have but didn't have the extra cash at the time!! :wallbanging:

Oh Well, it wasn't meant to be I guess..
Do either of you know or have you ever met William Deturck a.k.a. "Geezer"? He has an M&W 9 speed equipped Original. Nice guy with many good stories to tell too.

#13 ·
Do either of you know or have you ever met William Deturck a.k.a. "Geezer"? He has an M&W 9 speed equipped Original. Nice guy with many good stories to tell too.
I have heard his name before. There is a pic. of his M&W 9 speed equipped Original winning a slow race in one of my Cub Cadet books.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have heard his name before. There is a pic. of his M&W 9 speed equipped Original winning a slow race in one of my Cub Cadet books.
I have met him many times and even helped him load that tractor into his truck before as well. I like the caption on that picture, William told me that the tractor is not any slower really than a standard creeper is. The top 3 gears however are a different stroy and it will move along quite well.

That book is Oscar "Hank" Wills book, Cub Cadets The first 45 years. I know him as well and have met him more than once, he even signed my copy of his book.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.