Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never seen anyone compare these two brands of tractors so I figured it would be a good time to start a thread on this. Which one had a better transmission, which had the better hydraulic system, which made a heavier garden tractor on average? Just a few questions to compare the two brands.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Could very well have the same hydro, many brands do, never worked on a Ford gt. I guess it would depend on which Ford vs which cub cadet. Around here there are definitely more attachments to be readily found for cub. That would give them the advantage. Kohler engine vs Kohler engine? No difference there. Though there are differences between the cub Kohler variant vs the ford variant, mostly related to mounting and oil sump configuration
Alot of the "Ford" tractors were really made by Jacobsen and painted ford colors. Ford didn't build their own small equipment, they farmed it out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hmm alright... How about how heavily built were they? (I am trying to compare the 1x8/1x9 Cubs to the earlier Ford LGTs). I also noticed some differences in the geared transmissions, the Fords had a 4 speed as a standard and that was it; the Cubs had a 3 speed standard and a 6 speed creeper optional.

·
paddle faster i hear banjos!!!!&#3
533 Posts
the ford lgt series was built a lot heavier they had tube frames and really large rear axles they had kohler k series engines in them(witch you can not beat) and they were shaft drive but the shafts had rubber flex joints witch could be considered a weak spot they also where all mostly hydrostatics they were very good hydrostatics eaton 11/peerless 2500s but most models were hydros. early cub cadets (1960s)did not have as well built frames however all except for cub originals they had shaft drive manual transmission with a disc clutch no belts to slip or hydros to sap power and they had kohler k series engines cub cadet then came out with a hydrostatic trans they were not awful but no where near a peerless 2500 cub cadet kept its design until mid 70s when it started building different frames they went to a wide frame then to spread frame these where a lot stronger than the original narrow frame but still couldn't compare to a ford/jacobsen tube frame. The fords where probably better tractors for working with they had hydraulics and hi lo rear hydrostatic drives however cub cadets are more collectable and are much stronger drivetrain wise having a car style clutch and a shaft drive manual trans.i think it all depends on what you prefer and what the task is your throwing at it if its constant yard work and landscaping ford lgt would probably perform better but if its a show tractor or building a pulling tractor cub cadet is the way to go.(just my $0.2)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, thanks for the answer(s)! Ford did have the edge with the 2 range hydro (sadly...). One more question, I think tractordata has inaccurate weights for the Cub Cadets https://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/2/5/259-cub-cadet-782-dimensions.html and then look at the weight of the Ford https://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/6/1/618-ford-lgt-165-dimensions.html the Ford can't be 200 pounds heavier. The Cub says "shipping weight" so maybe that means without the engine in the tractor?

·
Super Moderator
6,163 Posts
The LGT hydro Fords also had automatic locking rear diff. My manual for my lgt 165 Fords says it's weight is 850 lb. Don't know if that's shipping or operating weight.

A lot of the cub cadets used the transmission and rear end out of a Farmall cub. As far as I know. I've never had a cub cadet.

Noel

·
533 Posts
the fords could be that much heavier i have a jacobsen version of a lgt 145 and have worked on many fords the hydrostatic trans are absolutely huge compared to a cub axle they weigh a ton the tractor frames are very thick walled and have some really chunky steel on them i think the front part that holds the axle is all 3/8 steel we put a jacobsen 1450 on a guys truck once using ramps that said they were good to 1500 lbs we bent them in half and we broke a leaf spring on the guys truck i have no doubt that a ford could outweigh a cub.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I don't know about the Ford being 1500 pounds, but I believe it could weigh 850-900 pounds. Also I still don't believe the Cubs only weigh almost 700. And yes, the Cubs use the transmission case from a Farmall Cub. So they have to be at least as heavy as the Fords.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

·
533 Posts
I'm not saying they are 1500 lbs im just saying they are heavy a cub trans is large but peerless 2500s are absolutely huge i bet just the trans weighs 300-400lbs

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well don't forget, Cub Cadet used a transmission from a Ford 8n sized tractor.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
I'm comparing the Cub Cadet 1650 to the Ford LGT 165.

If your talking Hydro's I would take the Ford over the CC for a couple of reasons. The linkage for the hydro on the CC's is a pain to maintain. When they start getting slop in them trying to control your travel speed is annoying to say the least. For some reason the steering gear boxes on the CC's don't hold up well and quite often will need a rebuild. The Hydro's on the CC tractors tend to leak. At least the ones I've had did. Also the rag joints and rubber motor mounts on the later ones tend to give out.

The design of the Ford seemed well thought out and easier to maintain.

This is a good video that reinforces my thinking.

·
Super Moderator
54,164 Posts
Think you are trying to compare apples & oranges!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I know that Cvans said that Cubs had weak hydro linkages, but as far as durability goes, how good is Ford compared to Cub Cadet?

·
Hangin' with the cool kids
Ontario, Canada
2,530 Posts
I have never owned a Cub, but have 4 LGT Fords right now, 3 are hydros, 1 is a manual gearbox. They are very well built, sturdy tractors.

Someone above mentioned weak Cub steering boxes. Pretty sure both CC and the Fords used the same Ross box.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 90 Posts