Garden Tractor Forums banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
6,148 Posts
Yep lol but some were pretty darn close to perfect. Its really weird seeing the old Cub Cadets just sitting in piles of junk in people's backyards, because the tractor itself isn't worn out at all, its just the engines back then weren't good enough for the tractors. :wallbanging:
Engines wear out for sure. But I think the engines were good enough. Just because they did so much work is the reason they were worn out. And depends on how they were looked after. !

Noel

Reactions: IHCubCadet147

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yes for sure. The owner's decisions make a BIG difference in engine life.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well I don't know much about these fords they where built on a tube frame just like a bolens is ... I'll take a cub over a Ford any day ... the hydraulic system is better for ports with extra like a hydraulic blade which you could have them on the rear as well if you really wanted them .... can a Ford have a cat O ? Can they run a brinly rear disc ? ... most of you guys are talking about weight of some of these machines a 782 weights more then likely 800 with no deck no person on it as well ... I know I have a allis that weights more then my 782 I would take my cubs over Ford tho .... allis would be the next inline .... can Ford run power steering ? Once you get into the supers of the cub cadets power steering is very wonderful ... so there's my opinion on cubs to Ford !
751542ed4a82f2a6af09c265d894ff16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well I don't know much about these fords they where built on a tube frame just like a bolens is ... I'll take a cub over a Ford any day ... the hydraulic system is better for ports with extra like a hydraulic blade which you could have them on the rear as well if you really wanted them .... can a Ford have a cat O ? Can they run a brinly rear disc ? ... most of you guys are talking about weight of some of these machines a 782 weights more then likely 800 with no deck no person on it as well ... I know I have a allis that weights more then my 782 I would take my cubs over Ford tho .... allis would be the next inline .... can Ford run power steering ? Once you get into the supers of the cub cadets power steering is very wonderful ... so there's my opinion on cubs to Ford !
751542ed4a82f2a6af09c265d894ff16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK thank you, Fords could have a cat 0 on their later models. What rear does your 782 have? Aluminum or Iron? I actually started a thread on OCC about the weights of the Cub Cadets. https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?p=509886&posted=1#post509886 (I still think the 782 is 855 pounds).

·
6,148 Posts
One of my fords has front hydraulic ports for blade angling or on mine I have a cylinder on the chute defector on the snow blower. Next size up fords had power steering, I think. LGT 195 Ford.

Noel

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
One of my fords has front hydraulic ports for blade angling or on mine I have a cylinder on the chute defector on the snow blower. Next size up fords had power steering, I think. LGT 195 Ford.

Noel
Oh nice, what model has the ports?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

Noel
Oh nice, what model has the ports?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
sorry I posted it twice lol

·
6,148 Posts
LGT 165 Ford. It's an option. LGT 145 and 165 fords have the cut out in the dash plastic, as far as I know. I could be wrong on the 145.

Noel

·
6,148 Posts
So just wondering what attachments cub cadet had. ? Ford tractors had these.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
So just wondering what attachments cub cadet had. ? Ford tractors had these.

Noel
Dang, thats a lot of attachments! As far as I know, Cubs could get these following attachments: Mower deck, snowplow, snowblower, disk harrow, moldboard plow, cultivator, front pto driven rear mounted tiller, front mounted street sweeper, Johnson loader, Kwik way loader, Danco loader, rear mounted trencher, Brinly gard-n-cart, single row corn planter, front reel mower, right mounted sickle bar mower, front mounted wood chipper, all kinds of wagons and carts, grass baggers, Brinly sleeve hitch "dump bed" thing, all steel Cozy cab, vinyl Sims cab, various rear mounted sprayers, mid mount grader blade, IH model 40 box scraper, rear landscape rake, rear blade, front mounted generator, sand trap rake, front mounted sickle bar mower, lawn seeder, thermo-fogger, rear mounted floor sweeper, golf ball retriever, various lawn sweepers, and an umbrella. You could get things like hubcaps, IH 3 point hitch, sleeve hitch, category 0 3 point hitch on the later models, wheel weights, front hydraulic outlets, rear PTO on gear drives and supers, optional creeper on gear drives, and spring assist on manual lift tractors. I am sure there are things I am missing, but I didn't want to be typing this all day. And believe me, I have seen every one of these attachments/ options either in person or pictures, so I am sure they all exist.

·
Registered
341 Posts

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Yep lol but some were pretty darn close to perfect. Its really weird seeing the old Cub Cadets just sitting in piles of junk in people's backyards, because the tractor itself isn't worn out at all, its just the engines back then weren't good enough for the tractors. :wallbanging:
disagree on "engines not good enough" back then. I'd completely agree with that statement, on newer machines BUT the tractors have been cheapened too.

The number of the older ones that have been revived and are still able to run on their original engines, backs that up..... the newer ones have been cheapened to a point of (almost) not worth fixing..... yet so many of us are able to revive the older machines/ as parts are still mostly available. many of which will still be running, when much newer machines are sitting in the scrap.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
disagree on "engines not good enough" back then. I'd completely agree with that statement, on newer machines BUT the tractors have been cheapened too.

The number of the older ones that have been revived and are still able to run on their original engines, backs that up..... the newer ones have been cheapened to a point of (almost) not worth fixing..... yet so many of us are able to revive the older machines/ as parts are still mostly available. many of which will still be running, when much newer machines are sitting in the scrap.
I agree with my post that the engines were not good enough. If an old Cub Cadet can go to 4000 hours, then why do the engines blow up at 1500??? My 582 says 4400 hours on the meter, and I believe it had quite a few engines in it. If you think I am just saying that, I have a pic of the hours meter.

·
Premium Member
7,364 Posts
My 582 says 4400 hours on the meter,
Hours meters can be very deceiving. All you have to do is leave the key on and that meter adds time until the battery goes dead. I know this from experience and you'd be surprised how fast the hours add up, especially if you have the tractor on a battery maintainer. There's a lot of hours between fall and spring.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Hours meters can be very deceiving. All you have to do is leave the key on and that meter adds time until the battery goes dead. I know this from experience and you'd be surprised how fast the hours add up, especially if you have the tractor on a battery maintainer. There's a lot of hours between fall and spring.
Oh... I didnt know that... I might have to ask the person I bought it from if I see him sometime.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I agree with my post that the engines were not good enough. If an old Cub Cadet can go to 4000 hours, then why do the engines blow up at 1500??? My 582 says 4400 hours on the meter, and I believe it had quite a few engines in it. If you think I am just saying that, I have a pic of the hours meter.
simple. lack of maintenance.... run hard put away wet. oil not changed. air filter not blown out or replaced. Or run without one at all.... carb throttle shaft wear that isn't addressed. the old cast iron kohlers can go at least a couple thousand hours (or more) with maintenance and there isn't another, more "rebuildable" engine, ever made.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
simple. lack of maintenance.... run hard put away wet. oil not changed. air filter not blown out or replaced. Or run without one at all.... carb throttle shaft wear that isn't addressed. the old cast iron kohlers can go at least a couple thousand hours (or more) with maintenance and there isn't another, more "rebuildable" engine, ever made.
Well, in that case, most that I have seen have been badly used and were not serviced.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts