Garden Tractor Forums banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I think I'm going to restart this thread... Cub Cadet 82 series frame vs Ford/Jacobsen tube frame. Reason I said this is because I don't understand why people say Fords are like 200 pounds heavier than Cub Cadets. If we are gonna compare specific tractors here, let it be 782 vs LGT 165.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Why are you concerned about weight?
if that were true, and I don’t know that it is.
you can make that up with loaded tires and wheel weights.
the big difference is the Cub has a dash board lever to control direction and ground speed.
the Jake has a foot pedal.
that makes the Jake a much better machine.

joe

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Why are you concerned about weight?
if that were true, and I don’t know that it is.
you can make that up with loaded tires and wheel weights.
the big difference is the Cub has a dash board lever to control direction and ground speed.
the Jake has a foot pedal.
that makes the Jake a much better machine.

joe
The reason I am concerned about weight, is because I want to know where Ford us getting that extra 200 pounds from stock. Making up with wheel weights isn't going to add strength like 200 pounds more of frame and rearend is going to. I'm not saying that Fords are better, I'm just asking where does that weight come from.

·
6,148 Posts
In my manual for my LGT 165 Ford is says it’s 850 lbs. My belief is that back then, tractors tare weight was the weight with no attachments added.

Noel

·
6,148 Posts
And kohler k 341 16 hp engine is 125 lbs. And that maybe without starter, carb, exhaust, electric pto and what ever, but I don’t know that for sure.
I don’t know what the engine weighs in the Cub.

Found the weight. 118 lbs.

Noel

Attachments

·
6,148 Posts
Tractor data info. 782 cub cadet 680 lbs, LGT 165 Ford 853 lbs. So 173 lbs difference. I’m guessing the rear end differential is heaver in the Ford than the Cub. ?

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Tractor data info. 782 cub cadet 680 lbs, LGT 165 Ford 853 lbs. So 173 lbs difference. I’m guessing the rear end differential is heaver in the Ford than the Cub. ?

Noel
The diff and rear in the Ford can't be heavier. Look at these pics:
This is a Peerless diff that is in the Ford.
This is a the diff that is in the Cub Cadet. Now, when it comes to the rear ends, don't forget the 782 has the Farmall Cub rear end and differential.
This custom tractor has the same rear end as the 782.
This is a Ford/Jacobsen rear end. The Peerless rear ends are rated for 1500 pounds with a 5 lug bolt pattern, and 1600 pounds with a 6 lug bolt pattern. The Cub Cadet rear end has to be more since it was used for about 40 years in many different tractors with no problems at all. https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/004/6/8/4686-farmall-cub-dimensions.html look at the weights of this tractor, almost 2900 pounds ballasted! Again, same diff and rear that is in the 782.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Sorry about the weird way it arranged the text...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
In my manual for my LGT 165 Ford is says it’s 850 lbs. My belief is that back then, tractors tare weight was the weight with no attachments added.

Noel
The only true way to find out is... Get them on a scale.

·
6,148 Posts
True. I know it’s heavy my 165. I also know my JD140H3, MF 14, Case 446 and YT16H are heavy. My MF 12, LGT 100 Ford are heavy, but not like the others. So, I have never had a cub cadet 782, so I have no idea on weight. But the manufactures all built them about the same size, length, width height, wheels and tires about the same, so they all should be about the same. Depending on the materials they used to build them.
Hope you find an answer. I’m interested.

Noel

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
OK, when I can get some info, or when someone brings me a Ford to weigh on our cattle scale, I will certainly post it here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
True. I know it’s heavy my 165. I also know my JD140H3, MF 14, Case 446 and YT16H are heavy. My MF 12, LGT 100 Ford are heavy, but not like the others. So, I have never had a cub cadet 782, so I have no idea on weight. But the manufactures all built them about the same size, length, width height, wheels and tires about the same, so they all should be about the same. Depending on the materials they used to build them.
Hope you find an answer. I’m interested.

Noel
About the tractors you have, what kind of frames are underneath the Masseys and Cases?

·
6,148 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Some pictures for you Luke.
Could you show a few pictures of a 782 Cub Cadet frame ?

Noel
The frame on that 140 is massive. I don't have any pics right now, but I will get some later. I will also put a tape measure up to it to show the size and thickness.

·
6,148 Posts
Some measurements. MF 14 is not here at this location. But it’s frame is the same thickness as the JD140 and the Case 446.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
1st pic is side of the frame, 2nd is front frame plate, 3rd is front plate thickness, 4th is actual frame thickness, and 5th, just for fun, is the rear axle. I have a Cat 0 3 point on the rear that I put fluid film on, just to explain the greasy part back there.

·
6,148 Posts
So, it’s 3/16” about in picture number 4. Can’t see reading in picture number 3. Any way, it’s a bit smaller plate, but that would not make a huge difference in the weight, for the amount of plate used in any tractor. A couple of pounds maybe. If that. Is the rear diff aluminum or cast iron. ?

Noel

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
So, it’s 3/16” about in picture number 4. Can’t see reading in picture number 3. Any way, it’s a bit smaller plate, but that would not make a huge difference in the weight, for the amount of plate used in any tractor. A couple of pounds maybe. If that. Is the rear diff aluminum or cast iron. ?

Noel
Sorry about pic 3, the caliper must have turned off... The diff is cast iron.

·
6,148 Posts
Well. They all should be about the same weight all these tractors. I don’t know what else would be that much different. I’m sure all the manufactures got together at some point while building garden tractors and agreed on sizes and weights, so nobody would have a big advantage over the other guy. Just my thought.

Noel

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Well. They all should be about the same weight all these tractors. I don’t know what else would be that much different. I’m sure all the manufactures got together at some point while building garden tractors and agreed on sizes and weights, so nobody would have a big advantage over the other guy. Just my thought.

Noel
I don't know about them "meeting together" but there certainly was an industry standard. I guess we are both stumped on where the extra weight on the Ford comes from. Maybe they did include a mower deck in the tractor's weight? Another thing to consider is the Peerless 2500 has an aluminum case.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts