Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I struck some roots with my several month old D105 mower and ever since have had pulsating vibrations coming from the mowing deck area when engaging the mowing blades. I took it to a shop for diagnostics and they said it would need new spindle assemblies, pullies, blades and a belt. They wanted too much $$ for the work so I took the job upon myself.

Thus far I've replaced the spindle assemblies and blades to no avail... same vibrations occurring. I know that the belt will be an easy next step, but what about the pullies/idler wheels? Which ones should I focus on first? I don't want to replace everything if I don't have to.

I've read that a bent mower deck itself can cause this issue but that really doesn't appear to be the problem as I've had the deck off and have been able to inspect it closely. If it's bent it's not perceptible to the naked eye.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me!

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
:iagree: Depending on how the under side of the deck is built, you may be able to use a straight edge to see if all the blade ends are on the same plane. It could easily be an idler pulley on the belt also. Can you run the deck at medium speed with the belt covers off and see if the idler is bouncing? Could have a wide spot in the belt groove on one of the pulleys. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Use a straight edge to check the deck. You should be able to check the pulleys the same way.
Yea I agree ( oh man, I think that's twice this year I've agreed with Cat :wallbanging: ) , if you replaced spindles and blades, the deck might be bent.

·
Tractorholic
8,457 Posts
Wasn't it on the Ford decks they wanted you to check the pulleys with a straight edge and use washers between the deck and spindles to correct the problem ?

·
Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for yo
8,677 Posts
Go through and recheck everything (the belts, the PTO, straight edge the blades and the deck, straight the pulleys and spindles, pull blades and check balance on them also.
Agreed. Make sure you put everything back correctly as well. Did you replace the spindles or rebuild them?

·
5,517 Posts
Check the bearings on the spindles. I had to replace a spindle on my mower the other year due to broken mounting tabs. The NEW spindle had a bad bearing, so I ended up tearing apart a new assembly. I used the bearings out of the old spindle and it is still going.????

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah I could tear apart the spindles.... but that seems like a lot of work considering all that I had to do to get them installed. And the vibration feels exactly the same as it did previous to the new spindles so I'm thinking that's not it.

I would like to know which place I should begin in terms of the idlers and pulleys... should I start by replacing the spindle pulleys first? The one spindle pulley does seem to have some slight damage/stripping to it where it attaches to the spindle... maybe that's the source of the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.