Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Cub Cadet 70, 122, 147, and 1450
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Cessna pump on my Model 1027 Danco Loader is acting like it’s age - worn out. Appears it is sucking air and only raises the bucket halfway at half throttle. At full throttle the bucket goes about 3/4 height. I looked into replacing the pump seals but they aren’t available to my knowledge. I did replace the main shaft seal. I’m looking to replace the pump. Any recommendations or suggestions? I believe these pumps have a 1 to 3 gpm flow rate.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Cessna pump on my Model 1027 Danco Loader is acting like it’s age - worn out. Appears it is sucking air and only raises the bucket halfway at half throttle. At full throttle the bucket goes about 3/4 height. I looked into replacing the pump seals but they aren’t available to my knowledge. I did replace the main shaft seal. I’m looking to replace the pump. Any recommendations or suggestions? I believe these pumps have a 1 to 3 gpm flow rate.
So I finally got around to replacing the pump on my Danco Loader. A Concentric pump from Northern Tool (.94 ci with a flow rate of 1.5 to 3 gpm) works good. I also purchased the mounting bracket from Northern Tool as well. With a slight modification I was able to mount the pump in line underneath the front PTO. I added a reservoir attached to the weight box and ran the supply and return lines to the reservoir.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Christoph,
Here are some photos. I used the original pump mount which was attached to the bolts holding the cast iron grille to the frame. You can see this piece in the last two photos. I then mounted the new pump to an L shaped bracket that was made specifically for this new pump. Ideally it would be best to have the pump supported from both sides.
I cut a slot in the L shaped bracket to allow it to slide up and down to adjust the belt tension. The reservoir I picked up used. It looks like a home made one but it was cheap. I used a 3/4 inch washer hose for the supply line and existing 1/4 inch hydraulic hose for the pressure line.
It’s not pretty but it works good for me.

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does depend on the cylinder size. The bore on my lift cylinders is 1 inch and the bore on the tilt cylinder is 1.5 inch. The speed for the lift is good while the tilt is a bit slower but ok.
If you are going with larger cylinders you probably want to go with a larger pump gpm. A larger pump will require a compatible reservoir to meet the flow demand.

I’m sure there is some information on the internet on how to calculate flow in relation to cylinder size. I just went with the same flow rate as the original pump.

I believe ther is a lot of information on loaders for Bolens tractors. You may want to search for manuals for the Bolens loaders and compare that to what you are planning for your loader.

· Super Moderator
5,807 Posts
I don't know the cessna pump. But doesn't the volume always depends on the engine speed as long as the pump is driven by the engine?
Otherwise the pump needs a separate drive (like an electric driven servo pump in automotive).
I'm not 100% sure how it is accomplished in the cessna. I would guess variable vane or eccentric. The pumps in an automotive automatic trans does the same.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not 100% sure how it is accomplished in the cessna. I would guess variable vane or eccentric. The pumps in an automotive automatic trans does the same.
The specs for the Haldex gear pump I installed are 1.5 gpm at 1,800 rpm and 3.0 gpm at 3,600 rpm. The Kohler engines on the pre 1980 cub cadets habe an idle speed of 1,800 and top speed of 3,600. The engine pulley and pump pulley are both 4 inch diameter pulleys. I usually operate the loader about half throttle.

· Super Moderator
55,876 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I installed a Johnson loader on a Bolens this summer. We replaced the original pump with this one:
You need to check on whether the pump can be side loaded if you run it off a belt. Direct drive pumps don’t have a bearing on the shaft which will result in premature wear on the seal and or shaft.

· Super Moderator
55,876 Posts
You need to check on whether the pump can be side loaded if you run it off a belt. Direct drive pumps don’t have a bearing on the shaft which will result in premature wear on the seal and or shaft.
No belt, drive shaft driven!

· Registered
Bolens 1053 - 1970?
80 Posts
The specs for the Haldex gear pump I installed are 1.5 gpm at 1,800 rpm and 3.0 gpm at 3,600 rpm. The Kohler engines on the pre 1980 cub cadets habe an idle speed of 1,800 and top speed of 3,600. The engine pulley and pump pulley are both 4 inch diameter pulleys. I usually operate the loader about half throttle.
Thanks for the information!
was an useful information for me because the pgm and preasure data are listed!

· Registered
155 Posts
If one wanted to design a ‘constant flow’ pump with no electronics or over-complicated governor mechanisms you would generally end up with something like an automotive power steering pump. It’s a ‘normal’ pump with a ‘priority flow divider’ valve on its output that directs a fixed amount of flow into the steering system and recirculates the rest back to inlet/reservoir. The pump would generally be pretty large so that it could make most or all of the required flow at low engine speeds, and when you rev it up it ends up recirculating the majority of its flow in circles (though with no pressure buildup on that side of the system there is not much heat made or efficiency lost..not much..) Tractors with power steering often do this too but their ‘priority valve’ is not at the pump, it’s in a ‘hydraulic distribution block’ somewhere where the PS lines split off.

But none of that exists on any antique garden tractor loader hydraulics that i know of!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts