Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you don't care for these ... I couldn't help it .

Gas Font Circle Gauge Machine

Motor vehicle Font Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

I fell in love with this .

My Brother calls it a Hovercraft/Zamboni ,

LOL :bigrofl:

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Wood Vehicle

Wheel Wood Motor vehicle Gas Tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle

I am going to go thru this thing and mow my yard with it !

It is just so cool . :smilewink:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
55,286 Posts
You'll be the talk of the neighborhood on that! I think the conversation will mention something about marbles or such!

Reactions: MGP59DB

·
Tractorholic
8,433 Posts
Who doesn't like those ? Not me ! Just remember if you restore that , heck even if you don't you go to a tractor show with rows and rows of red , yellow and green tractors you would be supprised on how many people stop and ask you about it

Reactions: MGP59DB and HANKG

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thanks for the comments . A little info . Model 917-61202- 36" the schematics have electric start , so this may be a 201

This has the B&S 143402 mechanical Gov. motor on it . 502727 - SN111*** My best guess would be that this is a 1962 (based on the color scheme and Logos) and the engine SN

There is absolutely no information on the internet about this , in fact there is absolutely not another picture of a real one that I can find.

Gas Composite material Wood Engineering Machine

Recoil start , it has a weak spark but does tickle you . Good compression . Turns easy .

It has a crazy drive set-up on it . but not too awful . Just has to be cleaned and tuned .

The mower deck is tight . so that needs work . The whole thing is just covered in dirt and grease so cleaning will really help it out.

I did find the schematics of it on Sears parts site .

Font Parallel Engineering Drawing Auto part
Organism Slope Font Art Parallel
Font Art Auto part Pattern Drawing
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Diagram

These will help in resurrecting this .

I was surprised when it showed up ! Bigger than I thought it would be and weighs close to 400 lbs.

This is all here and all original paint as far as I can tell .

It will be a lot of fun to get this going !!

People said I was nuts when I bought that rusty old 59' Suburban . Well I went into the garage and gave it one tug , it started up I drove it out into the street and hooked it to this machine and pulled it into the garage.

Again- I have no doubt that I can get this going and I think that I have found a very unique machine.

NO - It is not a GT and is just a fancy lawnmower , it won't plow your fields . Does not have GEE .

But I like it !!

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
You'll be the talk of the neighborhood on that! I think the conversation will mention something about marbles or such!
:mad2: wha chu takin' bout Willis? I ain't lost no marbles ?

There is a seat for every ass , and this one fits . :smilewink:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I shall follow this with interest. There are some real oddballs machinery awaiting redemption out there awaiting discovery.

Do you know anything about the history of this machine?
All I know of this one is that the guy I bought it from found it pushed to the curb about 3-4 years ago . It comes out of the 'finger lakes' region of northern NY state.

An area my Uncle says is of an affluent nature .

I finally found the model tag - duh- On the riser for the deck support. Model # 917-61201 SN- 1435

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Vehicle

Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Wood

Looked it over better today , it is going to take some work , my Uncle has no doubt about getting this working , nor do I .

I will systematically go thru the workings of it and bring it up to snuff . It has a lot of grease in all of the fittings so I think it was maintained pretty good .

I don't think I am going to , or need to , change the patina(not going to paint it) . It is original and will clean up good. Not perfect but good.

Going to have to pull the motor to get to the points and all . Not that big of a deal nor are the pulleys and chains of the drive too complicated . For some reason one of the chains broke when moving it. But again that is not a big deal , I found the weakest link .

Broke it before I fixed it .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I am glad you are retaining the patina as I think, looking at your photos, it will come up good. Over here in the UK and Europe, I use a product called Owatrol which enhances the patina and also acts as rust preventer. It like giving it a coat of clear varnish.

Here is a photo of using Owatrol on my Bolens round back tiller.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Road surface Gas

Liquid Bottle Ingredient Fluid Solution

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK - I can get a liter of that stuff shipped here . If nothing else comes along . My uncle may have some other free options :D
But that looks like it does a good job !

Reactions: Merle013

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did a little more digging today and found this - out of the 1962 Farm & Fence catalog

Vehicle Motor vehicle Poster Newspaper Mower

Now they don't say color . And if you compare the side decals it isn't the same -

So maybe this is the 1963 Model . I can't find the book anywhere yet to compare.

Was a pretty spendy machine for those days . Calculated to today .

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Which would make it damn near as costly as the Suburban .

Face Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor

Attachments

Reactions: KennyP

·
Registered
845 Posts
Well , even though it was raining a little bit , I got out the power washer and some cleaners and rags .

The 'Hoveroni' (my brother say it looks like a Hovercraft and a Zamboni mated) was calling my name .

Before

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle

After

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Engine compartment .

Gas Composite material Wood Engineering Machine

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive exterior

This is the first once over . Just to get the major stuff off . I will be doing a little more detail as I get deeper into it.

EDIT;

I just went out to close the garage , next thing I knew I had polished up the front bumper .

I thought this might be a lost cause but I was wrong , pleasantly surprised by how nice it came out .

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wood Bumper
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well , that didn't take long . :D

Wood Gas Engineering Machine Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Wood

Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Wood Bumper

Now I can transport it to my uncles shop where all the good tools are (and knowhow :smilewink: )

Too bad these are so unpopular , I think it is a pretty cool thing . And will be a lot of fun to drive around at shows.

Attachments

Reactions: Lauber1 and Alc

·
Super Moderator
55,286 Posts
Keep a blanky on it! That little feller needs warmth when he's unclothed!

Reactions: MGP59DB
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.