Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a zero turn mower with a 52" deck, an M&W LC 1890K, which I am very happy with.

Near as I can tell it is the same as a White FR-1800 and an Ingersoll G1890

The problem I have is one of the deck spindles broke and needs replacing. When we bought this (used) a few years ago, it came with a spare deck which had seen better days. I stripped the spindles and some other parts off of the old deck and sent it off to become new cars and soup cans, so I have spare spindles....just they're tired and could use rebuilding.

I would like to rebuild the salvaged spindles and swap them out, but it seems the bearing they use, apparently a SKF GRA014RRB, is nowhere near cheap at about $25 each. I don't mind spending the money, but if I can do this for less I'd like that even more. If it makes sense I don't mind spending more to upgrade the spindles to something better/newer/supported, so that's an option as well.

So I suppose there are several questions here...

... is there another bearing I should be looking at?

... should I just buy new spindles and upgrade the deck?

... if replacing spindles, with what replacement?

I'm a bearing noob, so some guidance is greatly appreciated.

Details as I have them on the bearing:

Construction: ADPTBRG

Inner Diameter: 0.875

Outer Diameter: 2.0472

Series: GRA-RRB

Basic Outer Ring Size: G205

Collar: S1014-K

Construction Type: ADPTBRG

E: 0.2950

G: 0.5480

H: 3/32

Inner Ring Width: 0.844

J: 1-1/2

K: 17/32

L: 0.1420

M: 1-7/32

Outer Ring Width: 0.591

As for the spindles, they are 4 bolt and the hole spacing appears to be 2-3/4". They stand 3-3/4" from the deck to the top of the blade.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

IMG_20170523_203505.jpg IMG_20170523_205040.jpg IMG_20170523_205021.jpg IMG_20170523_204933.jpg IMG_20170523_205103_1.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
54,011 Posts
Bet someone can interchange those bearings.

Reactions: boyscout862

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
Shop around for those bearings. Bet you can find them a lot less expensive. I had to buy 3 for a Kubota alternator. NAPA wanted $22 each and only had 2. Next day we had the bearings for $4 each. Don' know where the shop got them from.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
EPay... I just got 2 Fafnir bearings for the front PTO shaft on my Ariens for $25/pair when Motion Industries wanted $20/each.... these are a ball bearing with a cam-lock collar built in. These were exact replacements but other sellers had them in Timken and (I believe) SKF brands...

also in another application, when I got my 2 post lift, the some of the rollers for the chain were stiff and would barely spin/ I checked with a lift parts company and they wanted over $50/each... as it turns put the bearing pressed out easily and was a very common bearing in industry and mechanical maintenance, as well as being the input bearing on late 60s Ford 4 speed trannys... I got all 14 bearings that I needed for $160/ I had to deal with 3 sellers because none individually had the quantity I needed by themselves... I could have spent even less if I were to settle for "no name" offshore garbage but I insisted on known name brand ones.

this lift takes 6 of these as chain rollers (with a sleeve pressed on the outer race) and 4 each in the column where the lift carriages ride within...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My searching for these bearings isn't turning up much promising in regard to finding them at a reasonable price and I am considering replacing the spindles with a Stens or Oregon unit, especially considering that in some of the cases, the replacement assemblies are around the same price as the bearings alone. Given, replacing the spindles will likely necessitate replacing my blades as well.

Part of the difficulty is that the outer race of the bearing has a groove to accept a large snapring which limits how far the bearing can be driven into the assembly.

The snaprings and groove can be seen in the images, though I admit I am unsure if it is even necessary.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After comparing my bearing with one at my local NAPA, it appears the part # I had is wrong so I'm back to square one with figuring out what bearing I need.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh hey, I forgot I made this thread....

Since this started, I've learned a bit more, slowly returning to read and learn more since this all began.

My manual lists the bearing part number as "G9003506", which it shares with the Ingersol manual, but not much information about the bearing itself. The White FR-1800 manual lists the part number as "900-3506", which cross references to a WD-900-3506, and a "WD-C42786P" . This correlates to Ingersol's C42786P, which itself was updated to C43842, but still no real info about the bearing itself.

While digging into the details of the C43842 bearing kit, I found some images from which I was able to read the designation off the bearing, an "AMI SER205-14", which after double checking the specs to ensure it's a match, I promptly ordered.

The replacement was pretty straightforward and not much to mention; press out the old bearings, press in a new one on one side, place the insert, press in the opposite bearing, press the shaft in, tighten the set screws and call it good.

I am happy to report that it's working, initially I thought I had missed something as I couldn't hear the deck over the engine anymore.

We've mowed with it several times thus far and the only issue I've had was burning up a belt because I hadn't tightened it down enough.

Bearings were acquired from thebigbearingstore.com for a few bucks apiece. We will see how long they last, but they seem like decent bearings.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Oh hey, I forgot I made this thread....

Since this started, I've learned a bit more, slowly returning to read and learn more since this all began.

My manual lists the bearing part number as "G9003506", which it shares with the Ingersol manual, but not much information about the bearing itself. The White FR-1800 manual lists the part number as "900-3506", which cross references to a WD-900-3506, and a "WD-C42786P" . This correlates to Ingersol's C42786P, which itself was updated to C43842, but still no real info about the bearing itself.

While digging into the details of the C43842 bearing kit, I found some images from which I was able to read the designation off the bearing, an "AMI SER205-14", which after double checking the specs to ensure it's a match, I promptly ordered.

The replacement was pretty straightforward and not much to mention; press out the old bearings, press in a new one on one side, place the insert, press in the opposite bearing, press the shaft in, tighten the set screws and call it good.

I am happy to report that it's working, initially I thought I had missed something as I couldn't hear the deck over the engine anymore.

We've mowed with it several times thus far and the only issue I've had was burning up a belt because I hadn't tightened it down enough.

Bearings were acquired from thebigbearingstore.com for a few bucks apiece. We will see how long they last, but they seem like decent bearings.
I just recently ordered from bigbearingstore too.
From what I've seen they're name brand ,very reasonably priced. There is shipping charges but with their pricing it's still cheaper than most other places..

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sadly, this machine is done.

It has leaked oil for a while and we kept topping it up until I could "get around to it". It still runs, but it leaks quite bad now and we have replaced it.

I will strip it down, salvage some bits and scrap the rest. I am saddened by this partly because it was a good machine and partly because the deck is still in very good shape.

If you have a White FR-1800, Ingersoll G1890, M&W LC1890K, or other comparable model and want a solid deck (must come get it, east-central WI), I can make you a very good deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sadly, this machine is done.

It has leaked oil for a while and we kept topping it up until I could "get around to it". It still runs, but it leaks quite bad now and we have replaced it.

I will strip it down, salvage some bits and scrap the rest. I am saddened by this partly because it was a good machine and partly because the deck is still in very good shape.

If you have a White FR-1800, Ingersoll G1890, M&W LC1890K, or other comparable model and want a solid deck (must come get it, east-central WI), I can make you a very good deal.

·
Super Moderator
54,011 Posts
OP hasn't been back for 7 months.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts