Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a delco starter/gen that has a high-pitched whine that paralells speed of engine. Charging fine. Could it be a bearing issue???? Has anyone ever run across this before??? I dont think it has been very long since it was overhauled, but I dont want to do it again if its not needed. I oiled the cups for the bearings- still noisy. I dont want to over-lubricate. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
Have you put a multimeter on it to check to see what the voltage is that it is putting out? I am going to lean towards the bearings though. Do you happen to know if the bearings were replaced when the starter/generator was rebuilt?

·
RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres
15,608 Posts
I agree with the guys, I think it's a bearing giving you the noise.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was originally leaning the same way as you all. I took the belt off and manually spun the start/gen. Nice and quiet and very smooth. I didnt care for the looks of the belt. I changed the belt and all was history!!!! It didnt sound like a belt squeal to me , but I've been proved wrong once again! (no surprize).

·
Premium Member
15,923 Posts
1965 Husky 1K said:
I was originally leaning the same way as you all. I took the belt off and manually spun the start/gen. Nice and quiet and very smooth. I didnt care for the looks of the belt. I changed the belt and all was history!!!! It didnt sound like a belt squeal to me , but I've been proved wrong once again! (no surprize).
I am glad I was wrong as well. To be honest I don't think the bearings in the starter gens go bad too often. At least you don't hear about it much anyways.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts