Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did bolens make a 2cyl diesel in 1975? if so was it any good? how do they start in cold winter? glow plugs or no? how long of a life do the diesels have compared to the gas ht20's? found one for sale just trying to get some opinions on them

·
Bob's Lawn and Garden LLC
2,183 Posts
Quick answer is no they did not. What are you looking at and we could narrow it down as a few different engines came in them.

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
The earliest diesel marketed by Bolens was the Iseki built ones in 1978: G152, G154, G172, G174.

The first Bolens built diesel was the HT20D/HT22 in 1980.

What model are you looking at?

·
Bob's Lawn and Garden LLC
2,183 Posts
That is a HT20d and has a Wisconsin 2 cylinder diesel year is a 1980 or 81 only years made and the lever is for the hi/low trans in it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I found that on craigslist awhile back.... I posted it under one of the posts Sam made about being unable to find a HDT1000. I'm not a huge fan of non original tractors - but that would look cool as a pulling tractor

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when you say the lever is for high/low trans....(and please bare with me im learning as I go) is that like the two speed on an ht23? I have a ht20 and it does not have that lever?

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
The HT20D is basically an HT23 with the diesel engine instead of the Kohler K582,

·
Deceased
4,845 Posts
They do not have glow plugs.

They can be hard to start, but there are 'cures' for that.

Bolens did have a 'Cold Start Kit" for them.

With mine, a PO used two glow plugs and installed them in the air intake chamber. That lets me pre-heat the air going into the cylinders, and it helps a lot with starting in cold weather.

I've started mine in the 20* F range with no problem.

I also use Opti-Lube XPD in my fuel for the lubrication, but it also raises the Cetane rating as well, which also helps in starting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts