Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a barn sale today and picked this Versa-Matic up, I mainly got it for the schanake recoil as those are scarce as hens teeth to find and I needed one for my running Versa-Matic I have

If nothing this will make a good parts machine, the old girl has seen better days with lots of cosmetic and mechanical issues I already noticed just looking it over

Attachments

·
A Little Off Plumb
7,828 Posts
You are going to have to start a museum as well. :rocker2:

Looks like a good parts machine if nothing else. Notice the five hole wheels only have wheel studs in three of them - did they only use three originally?

·
Tractorholic
988 Posts
You are going to have to start a museum as well. :rocker2:

Looks like a good parts machine if nothing else. Notice the five hole wheels only have wheel studs in three of them - did they only use three originally?
They did only use three originally. Power Ho's are the same way.

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That starter is missing its cable & handle! :D
Cable is sticking out on the end and I have it soaking in PB blaster as we speak, we'll see what happens, I have been colleting NOS parts for this recoil to rebuild when I find a good core like this one :thumbs:

·
DR. Bolens
19,060 Posts
My 800 is the same, 5 stud rim but 3 stud hub. Believe the 900 is that way also.
Bolens used the 3 bolt pattern up until 1965 when the 1000 came out they went to 5 lug bolts on the wheels

Power Ho, Versa-Matic, Ride-a-Matic and early tubeframe were 3 bolt

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
From my days helping in my Dad's repair shop back in the 60's, if you can get your schanake starter working, leave well enough alone and only use it on special occasions. Using metal cable instead of a rope was a really bad design!

·
Old Iron Junky
1,359 Posts
Bolens used the 3 bolt pattern up until 1965 when the 1000 came out they went to 5 lug bolts on the wheels

Power Ho, Versa-Matic, Ride-a-Matic and early tubeframe were 3 bolt
The 12A power ho used all 5 holes. When the 12B started they went with the 3 bolt 2 stud design.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts