Garden Tractor Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
New Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked and looked and do not find a drain plug or filter on the Bolens H16,Tecumseh OHV unit. I'm referring to the Transmission. I would like to change the fluid Type "F" recommended and the filter. Did these come equipped with a filter? Is it possible that I have to open an oil supply line to drain the trans? Will appreciate any insight on this.
Thanks Jim
 

·
Accumulator
Joined
·
13,481 Posts
Hiker said:
I have looked and looked and do not find a drain plug or filter on the Bolens H16,Tecumseh OHV unit. I'm referring to the Transmission. I would like to change the fluid Type "F" recommended and the filter. Did these come equipped with a filter? Is it possible that I have to open an oil supply line to drain the trans? Will appreciate any insight on this.
Thanks Jim
The filter for the transmission is or should be at the rear of the tractor up under the seat and rear fender.I have an H16 and that's where it is on mine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,740 Posts
Hiker said:
I have looked and looked and do not find a drain plug or filter on the Bolens H16,Tecumseh OHV unit. I'm referring to the Transmission. I would like to change the fluid Type "F" recommended and the filter. Did these come equipped with a filter? Is it possible that I have to open an oil supply line to drain the trans? Will appreciate any insight on this.
Thanks Jim
To change the ATF on a Eaton 10 you have to pull the pump off as I know of. The trany part of the rear takes gear lube there should be a drain plug under the trany and a fill plug on the back to put the gear lube in.
 

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
Joined
·
32,399 Posts
First I have to say I've never been around any Bolens, but I downloaded the parts manual for the HT18 and it appears to have a Sundstrand hydro. Does your hydro pump look square & blocky, or is it rounded with radial finning? Radial finning is Eaton, square/blocky/no fins is a Sundstrand. I have a feeling your hydro draws & stores oil from the differential. If I had a pic of your unit, then I could say for sure. If it's a Sundstrand, then it definitely shares fluid with the differential. Many Eatons do also, but I've seen smaller Eaton's that were self-contained. If from an Eaton there is a line going to the differential, then it too shares the diff fluid.
I had hoped a Bolens guy came to answer, but I wanted to help.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,740 Posts
olcowhand said:
First I have to say I've never been around any Bolens, but I downloaded the parts manual for the HT18 and it appears to have a Sundstrand hydro. Does your hydro pump look square & blocky, or is it rounded with radial finning? Radial finning is Eaton, square/blocky/no fins is a Sundstrand. I have a feeling your hydro draws & stores oil from the differential. If I had a pic of your unit, then I could say for sure. If it's a Sundstrand, then it definitely shares fluid with the differential. Many Eatons do also, but I've seen smaller Eaton's that were self-contained. If from an Eaton there is a line going to the differential, then it too shares the diff fluid.
I had hoped a Bolens guy came to answer, but I wanted to help.
A tube frame hydro like a H16 only came with a Eaton 10.

The eaton 10 takes two fluids gear lube/oil for the trany part and ATF type F for the pump.
 

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
Joined
·
32,399 Posts
wilberj said:
A tube frame hydro like a H16 only came with a Eaton 10.

The eaton 10 takes two fluids gear lube/oil for the trany part and ATF type F for the pump.
Then it will require removing the pump to change out the hydro fluid...correct wilberj? I know the Eaton 10 on a small Wheel Horse I used to have, had no drain.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,740 Posts
olcowhand said:
Then it will require removing the pump to change out the hydro fluid...correct wilberj? I know the Eaton 10 on a small Wheel Horse I used to have, had no drain.
I would say yes you would have to.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top