Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We didn’t get a lot of snow here in west side of Pennsylvania to even pull out the 5018H and use the blower. The little we did get though got really packed down from driving over and over it. I couldn’t scoop it with a shovel so I had to bring out the big guns to get under it and scoop it off. Not a necessity at all but just wanted a little seat time

Attachments

· Fixer of Broken junk
5,204 Posts
You can bring it out to my place if you get bored lol. I have to clean up a spot for the log truck to sit so he can unload our firewood. You would think that a big truck like that wouldn't get stuck on a few inches of ice but they are pretty much useless especially when they are empty.

Found a fella that sells firewood by the Logging truck load for $600. It's mostly red oak and wild cherry. I can't afford not to buy a couple loads.

It's hard to find a spot to cut wood around here since we live "in town" (even though there are only like 100 people in our small town lol) and it's alot of work hauling it down out of the woods. People are charging around $250 per cord average + $1-$2 per mile to deliver. That is absolutely insane when you consider that we burn 8-12 cord depending how cold it gets. 12 cord at an average price of $250 per cord is $3,000.

Ya I'm buying 2 loads of hard wood logs with an average of 5 1/2-6 cord per load for $1200 and bucking it and splitting it myself if I can save $1800. Pretty much a no brainer eh? Even if I did not have a good saw and spend $1000 on one it would still be cheaper and a good saw will pay for it's self very quickly if you are able and willing to put the work in. Wish we had oil heat and oil was cheap but we do not and it is definitely not cheap.

· Super Moderator
1976 Sears SS18, 2008 JD 2320
14,292 Posts
Sweet large frame you’ve got there. I’ve got a 300ft gravel driveway and it can get iced up real good if you don’t scrape it down. For large snowfalls I usually use a walk behind blower and then follow up with a front blade or the loader bucket to scrape it down. This only works if you’ve got frost in the ground. I can make a real mess of the driveway if it’s soft and I get too aggressive with the blade.

· Registered
19 Posts
We didn’t get a lot of snow here in west side of Pennsylvania to even pull out the 5018H and use the blower. The little we did get though got really packed down from driving over and over it. I couldn’t scoop it with a shovel so I had to bring out the big guns to get under it and scoop it off. Not a necessity at all but just wanted a little seat time
Northern Minnesota, we got some but the storm was mostly below us. A lot of blowing and drifting though. Made me wish my JDL120 was up and running. I did finally find someone to rebuild my transmission though. I just need to wait for warmer weather so I can pull it and ship it to wisconsin.

· Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replies everyone. I usually use a 5018H with a snow caster but there wasn’t much snow fall but was a couple inches deep where we had been driving over it. A snow caster would have never scraped the hard pack like a bucket did

Attachments

· Registered
5 Posts
Northern Minnesota, we got some but the storm was mostly below us. A lot of blowing and drifting though. Made me wish my JDL120 was up and running. I did finally find someone to rebuild my transmission though. I just need to wait for warmer weather so I can pull it and ship it to wisconsin.
North branch mn, 👋

· Registered
5 Posts
North branch mn, 👋
  1. MY driveway clean up day is always my favorite day of the week. My bolens h20 makes plowing snow a breeze, with no factory attachments a guy had to make his own 54" blades front and back blade also a big sears snowblower 🌝 everything works great. But change is coming

Attachments

· Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
  1. MY driveway clean up day is always my favorite day of the week. My bolens h20 makes plowing snow a breeze, with no factory attachments a guy had to make his own 54" blades front and back blade also a big sears snowblower 🌝 everything works great. But change is coming
That’s a pretty beefy back blade. A snow cab makes a world of difference. My 5018H has a cab, and although sometimes hard to see out of, it makes blowing snow much more comfortable when it’s blowing back at you. Nice setup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts