Garden Tractor Forums banner

eBay - k241/k301 block - Racine, WI local pickup

Tags
ebay k241 k301
1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  dodge trucker 
#1 ·
I so want this but it is local pick-up only and I had to cancel my bid. I misread the ad, contacted the seller who has no way to ship.

item comes as shown, i bought it for a 1/4 scale puller. sold as is it had +.003 piston in it so there is lots of room to bore to what you want. it is K241 in a K301 block
If anyone is close here is a k301 block bored to k241 specs. It can be opened up to the standard k301 bore and beyond.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111576327317?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If anyone would consider picking up and shipping drop me a line.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
My problem is finding a standard bore block as I have a NOS Kohler k301 rebuild kit with a standard piston. I am still watching for other options too.

Reactions: boyscout862
#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
is exact originality a must for this machine? MOST parts will interchange between K series and magnum. Only difference is Magnum has no points, is electronic ignition. Shrouding and aluminum block "closure plate" are different and the magnum doesn't have the hole fo the points pushrod or point cover screws

. A few years back I spent a lot of time at the kohler site comparing some things. Same head and crank, you can use a K crank in a Magnum but not the other way around (Mag has no cam surface for the point pushrod, otherwise identical)

there is a before/after piston and rod for the late K series/early M series; the "early" goes all the way back to the 1st K 301s, the "late" came in a couple years after they stopped building Ks and switched to all M's.

You can use either early or late piston, rod and rings, BUT you have to use all early or all late parts among those 3 components, no mixing or matching.

cranks will also interchange between a K and an M.

Also you gotta consider the pan configuration. I have seen "wide" and "narrow" K series pans, but all the Magnums (that I have seen so far, anyway) have had the "wide" oil pan. If you have a Deere or a Cub that may well be an issue.

the other issue... You are not there to mike the block youself; It may have had a STD piston in it, but who knows how out of round or tapered that bore is? Yeah/ you could put it back together standard but if the bore is worn it won't last very long before you find yourself with an oil thirsty "fresh" rebuild.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I went and looked at a New Holland S 14 over last weekend and the guy had a spare motor, it was obvious that he didnt know the difference between different Kohler engines, as the spare engine that he said that he got for the S 14 would probably not have worked. Being a 12HP vs a 14 would not have been a big deal but the fact that it was a starter/gen motor and had the small square pan like a Cub or a Deere might have been. Its pan had the "1/2 round" pocket for the rod dipper too, not the flat square one.

I told the guy that i had to think about it, as the tractor was ROUGH (waaaaay beyond my initial concerns with my GT 19 that you helped me get) basically I really wanted it for the back blade and 3 point that came with the deal; I told the guy basically "I'm not gonna say "no" but I definitely had to think on it;

the seller said that he saw this 12HP on the floor in some small engine shop and figured "hey that looks 'just' like mine" and bought it as a spare, but it is sitting collecting dust, being sold as a pkg deal with the S 14.

I was gonna contact the seller and see if he would split off just what I wanted. I don't need another K3o1 right now, if it would help you out let me know and I'll see what I can do.

never mind the ad is now gone on CL, we'll hafta see if it re appears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.