Garden Tractor Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks ago I posted that I have found a faster and easier way to fill the hydro on a Sundstrand Hydro.

This may work for others but for those of you with a MF 1655 / 1855 here goes.

Remove the plastic tunnel cover over the driveshaft

Install a new oil filter filled with oil

Remove the return line from the spool valve including its elbow fitting

Insert funnel

Pour away

Oil Fill.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
Good idea. As long as the fittings will cooperate and loosen without a fight then tighten again without having leaks afterwards.

·
4,473 Posts
Thanks Great Idea

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey Petenpole, guess this is a good idea.

I'm new to this site and new to tractors too. Just acquired a 77 Massey 1655 with many hours on it. Not sure what kind of life it's had, but suspect it hasn't been an easy one. I'd like to change the trans oil and filter. The manual I found on-line just says to use M1110 oil.

Doubt that I'll be able to find that at the auto parts dealer. Just what do you recommend as a replacement oil for this machine. And, what about the filter type?

Many thanks

·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am using oil filters from Car Quest and they happen to be WIX filters.

As far as Oil there are many opinions in this group and its really a matter of choice. You can look at my diatribe on rebuilding a Sundstrand and it will share with you the oil that I used from NAPA with great results

Good luck and ask any other questions you may have

·
141 Posts
I'm thinking that should work on the MF 14/16 also except they have metal covers. I was really trying to find a BETTER way than the long tube. Thank you very much.

·
370 Posts
I did find a easier way to fill the mf14 transmission this morning. I took a spout off of a gear lube bottle, cut just the very end of it off. I found a 2 foot piece of 5/16 fuel line and put on the end. The other end of the hose a push rod was put in the fuel line and put in the fill tube. Hooked up the bottle of transmission fluid and laid on the seat and let it fill. I did have to poke a hole in the end of the transmission fluid bottles.

IMG_20180616_084407908_HDR.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice idea. Do you have a length for the dipstick under the seat for 1655. Checked mine and it looks like the lower end is missing. Stops at full mark. Do you have a photo of the end of one. I'm afraid a piece may be in the bottom.

·
Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict
32,409 Posts
Nice idea. Do you have a length for the dipstick under the seat for 1655. Checked mine and it looks like the lower end is missing. Stops at full mark. Do you have a photo of the end of one. I'm afraid a piece may be in the bottom.
I'll try to remember to measure one tomorrow. If your missing piece is in the axle housing, I wouldn't fret. It likely won't move off the bottom, and if it did somehow get into the gears, it's not large enough to do any damage at all. It also can't get sucked into the pump.

·
4,473 Posts
The secret to fill them is to vent the transmission and loosening the return line from the control valve would be the answer to get a vent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts